Ultra fine lathe finish

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
read something about getting a ultra fine finish (in the absence of a ground finish) using a file and "paper". what am i missing about the "paper" ?? or, in my golden years did i missread something. in my older years, instead of claiming stupidity; i like to state that i am a old man, its to be expected

Yep I remember watching my father polishing ejector pins with wet & dry until they fit the bore in the die, no CNC in those days.

He always used a file to chamfer edges, never saw him use a chamfer tool.

boy, i'm glad i threw in that part about being old. i probably have every grit paper from 220 to 2000. but, i thought there was some trick with real paper

boy, i'm glad i threw in that part about being old. i probably have every grit paper from 220 to 2000. but, i thought there was some trick with real paper

Yeah put glue and sand on it hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is a trick with "real paper".... I've used newspaper and WD 40 to put a fine cross hatch on polished barrels.

Heard the paper thing, too. Brown paper grocery bags are just abrasive enough (used dry) to polish a fine finish. I doubted it when I heard about it so I tried it on a finely turned piece of stainless steel and it worked.

One my dad would do is first polish with the fine wet dry emery paper, Then turn the paper over and use the back side of it to finely polish pieces.

Back