Ultra Precision PM Lathes- worth it?

No problem at all, I try to check in when I have some time. No youtube channel from us, but there are quite a few people who have the 1340GT that are on youtube.
Dimensions are the same other than the height, without the stand is about 22-1/2" Also, if you dont include the cross slide handle, dimension from the back of the back splash guard to the front edge of the chip tray is also between 22 and 23", its only the cross slide handle that sticks out that much.

I forgot to say- thanks for chiming in on this thread! I forgot that you were a member here. Do you guys have a YouTube channel where you show these lathes in operation? That's probably a stretch, but it's worth asking. Thanks again!

Oh- and one last request. Since the linked manual is for the 13-40GT, can you provide the machine overall size (specifically benchtop depth) for the 1236-T so I can ensure my benchtop is deep enough for the machine to sit on. Currently the website shows only the dimensions WITH the cabinet:

Machine Dimensions, Assembled with stand: 51”H x 29”W x 66”L

Not sure if it would be in the budget...
However the 1340GT is an excellent and durable lathe... probably one of the more popular new machines at this site.
IMO the 'Taiwanese' machines from QMT (PM) are worth the extra $$$!

No youtube channel from us, but there are quite a few people who have the 1340GT that are on youtube.
Ah! I keep forgetting these are VERY similar machines. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll check out some videos on that one.

Also, if you dont include the cross slide handle, dimension from the back of the back splash guard to the front edge of the chip tray is also between 22 and 23", its only the cross slide handle that sticks out that much.

Since I want to mount this on a sturdy bench, this is exactly what I was looking for. The 29" deep dimension on the website had me a bit nervous. 22-23 is totally fine as the bench will be 24" deep. Awesome.

Not sure if it would be in the budget...
However the 1340GT is an excellent and durable lathe... probably one of the more popular new machines at this site.
IMO the 'Taiwanese' machines from QMT (PM) are worth the extra $$$!

I'm sure the 1340GT is fantastic. But I'm looking for a bench lathe specifically.

I'm sure the 1340GT is fantastic. But I'm looking for a bench lathe specifically.

There was a thread I saw a few days ago... guy bought a PM1340GT without the stand... and mounted it on a custom bench.
As I understand it... Matt will sell it to you without the stand if you want it that way.

IMO: order a 3 PH motor and get a VFD... lots more flexibility of use!

There was a thread I saw a few days ago... guy bought a PM1340GT without the stand... and mounted it on a custom bench.
As I understand it... Matt will sell it to you without the stand if you want it that way.

IMO: order a 3 PH motor and get a VFD... lots more flexibility of use!
Thanks. The 1340GT is far too large for my application or available space.

Matt - why only a 1yr warrantee on the 1236t?

Because of the price we have it at, its the economy version but still gets you in to a very nice machine from Taiwan.

As the OP said, not much is out there on the ultra precision lathes. My two cents are that it seems odd that the Chi-com 1236 has a three year warranty and the 1236-T has a one year. Because we are discussing "lifetime" lathes, I would be hesitant to pull the trigger on a 1236-T if the manufacturer believes there is a greater chance of having to honor the warranty after one year. The promised max runout on the 1236-T is impressive and would be the reason for me to purchase it over the 1236, but if the accuracy should degrade after a year then it'd be a waste to spend the additional money.

The warranty difference is not a big deal (so they should give the longer warranty). Generally if there is going to be an issue, it will show up pretty early. The speed range is pretty narrow (bottom end is still too fast and the top end of only 1600 on a small machine, nice if it was faster). However that fast bottom end seems to be very common on new lathes - I suspect there is a cost saving, and with VFDs being so cheap, it is easy make the conversion and dial down another 50% (which would be about right).

I agree, if you know you are going to stay in this game a while - get the better machine (in fact, step up from the 1236T to at least the 1340GT). When you get a better quality machine, you'll use it more, enjoy it more and when you get more machines, it will always have a good place in the shop. It will also sell well when the time comes. I spend $10,000 on my first lathe - it was nearly new, I was 21 years old. I spend every dime, I could not even power the machine. The only tooling I had was a 6" caliper and a set of drill bits. I figured it would be the only machine I'd ever buy, so I'd better make it a good one. Over the years, tooling was added. That was 34 years ago. I now have several more machines, and the cost of all the others put together comes to what that first lathe cost. Obviously I way over paid for that first machine, but I've no regrets - that was a great purchase and it is still my "goto" machine. The original purchase price is long forgotten (I've blown more cash than that on any number of stupid purchases). For a life time machine, don't sweat the price!

A 13" machine, with a gap is a very useful size for general type work. If you have the space, power and ability to move it - then anything up to 16" would be an excellent choice (still very capable of small work). IMO over 16" gets to be a bear if you are mostly doing small stuff (of course it would still work, just not as handy, everything is bigger and more expensive).

Back