[4]

Winner Ultra-Small Boring Head

• Thread starter Deleted member 17524
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
1 1/2 inch Boring Head. I need one for light duty work inside of a crankcase. It will be Brass. Pic #1 shows flats for 3/4 wrench. Pic #2 Back side complete with 1/2-13 threaded mounting hole. This one is slightly altered from one by Stephen Campbell.

"Billy G" :))

Borhd 001 (750 x 563).jpg Borhd 002 (750 x 563).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

xalky

Global Moderator
Registered
Cool, can't wait to see the finished product. We really should get together one of these days!

Marcel

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Squared and ready to start the Dovetail.

Borhd (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
UH-OH -- Did not plan ahead. My smallest 45* Dovetail Cutter is tooooo big. There are other things to do though. :lmao:

"Billy G" :thinking:

DNPA (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The parts that make the adjustments have to go somewhere. That's a 1/8 endmill and it's crankin. I'm whipped, time to stop for the day. Pick this up again tomorrow.

"Billy G"

DNPA 001 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
A change was in my plans, so a new base is being made. I had not givin a lot of thought for the mounting of the head. I used the 1/2-13 thread to use a home grown 1/2" straight arbor. The change came about because a MT2 Arbor is available with a 1/2-20 thread and also the 3/8-16 drawrod thread for under $6.00. The new base is to the left. It will utilize a 1" wrench.

DNPA 003 (750 x 563).jpg

stevecmo

Active User
Registered
Bill,

Looking good! It looks like you're putting that Clausing thru it's paces. Nice job.

Steve

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
COOL stuff happening here Bill. Thanks for posting.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nothing like spending quality time with your machines. The bad habits of the world just seem to disappear.

Ready again to cut the Dovetail and the pocket for the inerds. There was a discussion on using air at the machine. That can of air (Computer Stuff bought on sale) is the only air I use. I have air drops in 6 places in the shop used for air tools only.

DNPA (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Adj. Pocket is done. Sorry about the clarity but the flash on brass is hard to control.

pocket (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Last picture was bugging me. This is better.

pocket 001 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
My hour in the shop is done. War Dept. watches close. Got gib blank done, made from an old gear. Also the adjuster is blanked in and just needs to be drilled and tapped 6-40. I get 2 more hours after 4:00 PM today. The flu is almost gone.

pocket 002 (750 x 563).jpg pocket 003 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Something you cannot tell by the other pix is size. Now you can. :lmao:

"Billy G" :whistle:

sze (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Yep -- Those are the prints I have, I only changed the mounting thread so far. The show a 3/4-16 and I went to a 1/2-20. I want to make a smaller one if this one works out. Maybe 1 inch in diameter isstead of 1.5 inch diameter.

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
Nice work Bill,

....Sorry about the clarity but the flash on brass is hard to control.
If you cant/dont want to take the pic in manual mode, just try holding a piece of wax paper in front of the flash.

Cheers Phil

tripletap3

Active User
Registered
Bill, You are a machining genius! Tell your wife I said that and you need more than an hour in the shop because we need the instruction.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Bill, You are a machining genius! Tell your wife I said that and you need more than an hour in the shop because we need the instruction.
Thank you, I have been called a lot of things but never a "Genius"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
After the dovetail on the body, all that is left is the dial and the slide. If the cutters do not arrive tomorrow I will grind a tool and Flycut the Dovetails. We are missing closer. :lmao:

"Billy G"

alm (750 x 563).jpg

Tony Wells

Platinum
Registered
Bill, I have a 3/4" 60° dovetail cutter I can loan you if it will do you any good.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thank you for the offer Tony. UPS tracking number says they will be here Saturday. I'm all set. Again Thank you, it is appreciated.

Tony Wells

Platinum
Registered
Well, I couldn't get it to you any sooner than that anyway, short of paying high priced Saturday delivery. It's here if you need it though.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
HMMM -- I called the PO. Next day delivery on that would be $37.50. I could buy two more cutters for that price. :lmao: OK -- my morning hour in the shop is over. There are two parts left to make. The Dial (5) and the Keeper (7). I will finish the slide and make those last two parts this afternoon. All that should be left after that is the Dovetails themselves.

"Billy G" :ups:

alm 001 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Bored tool holes to .370 with a carbide end mill and reamed to .375. Now to the set screw holes drilled and tapped and the slide is ready for Dovetails tomorrow if tool arrives.

alm 002 (750 x 563).jpg alm 003 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Out of the shop for today. I got done all that I wanted to. The slide is ready to Dovetail.

bbb 001 (750 x 563).jpg bbb 002 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The brains (6-40 SHCS and part #4) in place. I need to make the keeper (part #7). The action is smooth at this point. If anyone wishes to build this little Boring Head I can supply the 6-40 SHCS if you can't find them.

bbb (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Time to catch you guys up. Pic #1 is the keeper blank made from old gear blank (in arrows) Pic #2 is the Keeper blank in the mill Pic #3 Thr finished Keeper (.500X.303X.125) .070 slot. being made. Pic #4 The test fit (perfect) Pic #5 The adjustment parts installed and working extremely smooth. The SHCS in front is my spare..

bbb (750 x 563).jpg KPR 003.jpg KPR 001 (750 x 563).jpg KPR 002 (750 x 563).jpg KPR 006 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Now the bad news (expected). UPS does not deliver on Saturday. I called and my tooling is in Watertown, 12 miles from here. They will not let me pick it up. I can have it emergency delivered for $67.75. Looks like it won't get done till Monday when my tooling gets delivered. I have gone as far as I can for now except the Dial. I want to do that last. See you Monday, same time, same channel. Good Night Mrs Kalabash whever you are.

Reactions: Guv
Status
Not open for further replies.
[6]
[5] [7]