[4]

Winner Ultra-Small Boring Head

• Thread starter Deleted member 17524
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The three ring logo is for "Ballentine Ale". Some will and some won't recognize the logo because "Ballentine" closed it's Brewery in 1972.

"Billy G" :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
There is a set-up in my lathe that cannot be broken down till it's finished. I decided to try the mill to make the dial face. It has a 15 degree angle on it. I made a 1" thick steel plate to mount my 3' rotary table to. This assembly was mounted in my milling vise at 15 degrees. I then used an adapter to mount a micro chuck to the rotary table. I chucked a test piece in and used the rotary movement to turn the dial face. Below are the results. I will cut the 1/2" brass dial this way tomorrow.

The graduation lines will be cut with this set-up usind a diamond burr.

"Billy G" :thinking:

15fa 001 (750 x 563).jpg 15fa 002 (750 x 563).jpg

November X-ray

Active User
Registered
Bill, Does the tang remain on the end or will you remove it and drill/tap for a drawbar? Although I would not envision the need for a drawbar as the cutting forces should never pull.

As always with your projects, it looks GREAT!

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I just grabbed that arbor out of the box NXR. I have a couple that are drilled and tapped 3/8-16 to fit.

"Billy G" :))

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Had to see. We are ahead of tomorrow. Pic #1 -- Angled set up with brass stock. Pic#2 -- Gonna be a pretty face on the dial. Angle is done here. Pic#3 -- these are diamond burrs. I will be using #3 and #4 from the right.

15fa 003 (750 x 563).jpg 15fa 004 (750 x 563).jpg 15fa 005 (750 x 563).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
It's a done deal. It has .005 graduations only because that is all I need for using this one. Hope you enjoyed this build as much as I did. Any other questions please ask. I will be happy to answer them for you.

fini (750 x 563).jpg

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
That's a beauty Bill :worship:, I love watching a top-flight project like that come together, now... what's up next? ;) :biggrin:

-Ron

amajusiakjr

Registered
GREAT job! That is a very nice boring head. Is the material Navy brass? Do you get any "singing" with the brass when machining?

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
nice job bill
usefull and attractive.
steve

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
GREAT job! That is a very nice boring head. Is the material Navy brass? Do you get any "singing" with the brass when machining?

No, just plain old 360 Brass. Nothing special. It machins so quiet you can hear the crickets in the cellar. :lmao: Thank you for the kind words.

Always good to hear from you Steve, Thank-you.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That spindle is moving. That is one of two Pillar Bushings being cut. I love it when a plan comes together.

fbb (750 x 563).jpg

fbb (750 x 563).jpg

N

Nelson

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Just foolin around, it works just fine. Anybody recognize that logo? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Ballantine Beer. As a kid, I used to run to the grocery store and pick it up for my Ukrainian grandfather all the time (and take some from the large bottles he bought)

woodtickgreg

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
What a great thread, very interesting and enjoyable. Also congrats on potm! Great job.

Last edited:

Rbeckett

Silver
Rest In Peace
Congrats on the POTM Bill. I have not read it all but it is very interesting and well presented in what I have read so far. Thanks for the great contribution.
Bob

Cuzzun_itt

Active User
Registered
Picture #1 is the screw-up. The one on the left has the dovetail started but notice the flange. It is almost gone. Dovetail cutters cut on all edges.

Picture #2 is the catch up. We are ready to dovetail again. 2 hours lost and a lesson learned one more time. Always check the machine before you start. It will save you time. money and embarassment. Not necessarilly in that order. :lmao:

Been there.

I was once told by an old man, that

"Experiance, is something you get about 10 seconds after you need it."

BTW old man is a relative term. The "Old Man" was I think younger than I am.
Getting old kinda sucks

The boring head looks great!!

Keep up the good work Bill,

Itt

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thank you all. It is a great honor having the Boring Head named Project of the Month. ------ "Billy G"

Kevinb71

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Congratulations Bill! Well deserved POTM award! I really enjoyed this and look forward to building one myself sometime. Thanks for the effort to post it.

SE18

Active User
Registered
Hope it's not too late to add my thank you. I'm going to spend a lot of time here, not only looking at the project but also picking up on the neat tips. I remember Ballentines too! :)

Dave

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Kind words are always welcome. Thank You Dave -- Enjoy. I hope someone picks up and actually builds one for themselves. That would be neat. ------ Billy G"

dmosser

Registered
No matter how good you think you are or how far you have come, guys like this just smack the Humble back into you. :worship::worship:

bpratl

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Congratulations on winning the project of the month...it is well deserved for the project, design and workmanship. Bob

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thank you all very much. NXR this is for you. The proof that it works flawlessly. ------ "Billy G"

102_1155 (650 x 488).jpg 102_1156 (650 x 488).jpg

allen652

Registered
Very nice job Bill. Thank you for taking the time to document your work for others to enjoy.

-Allen

GK1918

Active User
Registered
Very nicely done Bill now it deserves a nice Mahog. wood box lined in velvet. "Oh that Balentine, Its so
Genuine" I still see three rings in neon. sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
[5] [7]