• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Ultra-Small Boring Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
The three ring logo is for "Ballentine Ale". Some will and some won't recognize the logo because "Ballentine" closed it's Brewery in 1972.

"Billy G" :whistle:

Ya' spelled it wrong!

It's "Ballantine".

Actually I know I spelled it wrong. I did it on purpose so people who did not like the Boring Head would still have something to say without bashing the project.

"Billy G" :lmao::lmao::lmao:

nice work bill
it looks like it is leaving a good finish.
I really like the brass.
steve

Steve;

The boring head has quite a few jobs under its belt now. It performs flawlessly every time. I use it more that its big brothers. I am toying with the idea of making an even smaller one.

"Billy G"

Thank You for taking some of the mystery out of the boring head. With your excellent step by step instructions, I almost feel like I could make one. It is near the top of the list for a winter project. If it was meant for light duty, would aluminum work, or is brass a minimum requirement for strength?

Cheers,

Tom

I used brass because I grabbed it first. :lmao: I have easily made .040 cuts with it. Use whatever you have. The prints are in post #16 in PDF.

"Billy G"

Be careful if you use aluminum, especially 6061 as it tends to gall when you slide it together. You could try anodizing it, or using some anti seize compound, both will help. You could also make either side of the dovetail from steel or brass, and you will get less "sticking".

I made a small boring head (not as small as Bill's, mine was 2" od) early on modeled after this one {url}http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/boring_head/boring_head-e.htm{/url}. I also used 10L14, and it worked just fine and is easy to machine.

Yup, thanks DMS -=- Aluminum as a last resort.

"Billy G"

Would 1018 be suitable? I have ready access to hot or cold rolled stuff, but nothing much else. At least, not that I'm willing to shell out money for till I am sure I can do the work. :)

Terry

A single word ---- Yes. I have a friend that made his from that. Another used 4140.

"Billy G"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back