• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Ultra-Small Boring Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You so much for the wonderful build! This forum has given me the drive to make chips. Sometimes making me even want to fix my mistakes.

Thank you for the kind words. Glad this got you going.

"Billy G"

Steve;

The boring head has quite a few jobs under its belt now. It performs flawlessly every time. I use it more that its big brothers. I am toying with the idea of making an even smaller one.

"Billy G"

Bill--very nice job and It's rewarding when you get a lot of compliments and the finished product works so good----I know it is small, but when I bought my lathe back in the late 80s along with all the extra tooling was a very small boring head. after seeing pictures of yours completed--I went to my extras drawer and dug the little boring head out---I'm not sure if the lathe owner made the little boring head or someone else, but it is sure a precision job---no markings on it at all and it has a 1/2" shaft--I'm not sure if is a short taper on the shaft or if it is threaded on the end----I have not taken it off the sleave which is 2" long 1" OD and 3/4" ID and 1/2" id where shaft enters. the end of the boring bar shaft is approx 1/4" when I see it 1 1/8" in the end, which tells me that it may be turned down to 1/4" and threaded---Anyway knowing that you are thinking of making a smaller boring bar made me think about this one----the boring head is 1" long by 7/8" od and the sides are 5/8" wide--it has two 1/4" holes for the boring bars and is on a dovetail slide---if I had made one this perfect out of steel I sure would have at least put my inits on it---be sure and sign yours, and thanks again for the nice thread----Dave

Thank you. If you could would you post a picture of you boring head. If it's what I think it is it is ultra precision.

"Billy G"

Thank you. If you could would you post a picture of you boring head. If it's what I think it is it is ultra precision.

"Billy G"

Bill--I had a hard time taking good pictures of it and get all the nice detail in since it is finished so good and probably picked up the camera flash---anyway here are some for you to look at---Dave

aaablade pics 043.jpgaaablade pics 036.jpgaaablade pics 035.jpgaaablade pics 024.jpgaaablade pics 022.jpgaaablade pics 021.jpgaaablade pics 019.jpgaaablade pics 011.jpgaaablade pics 008.jpgaaablade pics 005.jpgaaablade pics 040.jpg

aaablade pics 043.jpg aaablade pics 005.jpg aaablade pics 008.jpg aaablade pics 011.jpg aaablade pics 019.jpg aaablade pics 021.jpg aaablade pics 022.jpg aaablade pics 024.jpg aaablade pics 035.jpg aaablade pics 036.jpg aaablade pics 040.jpg

Those are just fine. That is non other that a Moore Ultra or a perfect clone. That is only the second one I have ever seen. The other one is here in Ct. I will see if I can get more info for you. That is definitely a keeper.

"Billy G"

Those are just fine. That is non other that a Moore Ultra or a perfect clone. That is only the second one I have ever seen. The other one is here in Ct. I will see if I can get more info for you. That is definitely a keeper.

"Billy G"

Bill--wouldn't it have some markings on it if was a Moore Ultra ? I have an older (82) machinist friend that says it was probably homemade by a perfectionist ---Dave

Bill--wouldn't it have some markings on it if was a Moore Ultra ? I have an older (82) machinist friend that says it was probably homemade by a perfectionist ---Dave

Look in the empty hole on the bottom. If there is an "M" in it, it is real. The outside hole will have a "U" in it. Now if there are no stamps then it is the most perfect reproduction of anything I have ever seen. Nice tool either way.

"Billy G"

Look in the empty hole on the bottom. If there is an "M" in it, it is real. The outside hole will have a "U" in it. Now if there are no stamps then it is the most perfect reproduction of anything I have ever seen. Nice tool either way.

"Billy G"

Bill--all I see on the inside of the large hole is the 1/4" end with center from the boring head shaft.--do you know if they would have turned the BH shaft down on end and threaded it ---the only thing else I could think of would be a taper on the BH shaft from 1/2" to 1/4".--there are no set screws in the front of the sleeve to hold the BH shaft in, but there are two set screws in the back 3/4" ID section of the sleeve to mount on 3/4" shaft.--Does the Moore Ultra have a threaded 7/8" long shaft on it ?--do you know if the Moore Ultra had a sleeved shaft come with it at all ?--also do you know when they made them ? --I got this one used in approx 1988 or 1989--I hate to try and unsrew the shaft from the 1"ID 2" long sleeve untill I'm sure that it is threaded on------somehow though I don't think it would be on a taper without a tang that was round. --Dave

Bill--all I see on the inside of the large hole is the 1/4" end with center from the boring head shaft.--do you know if they would have turned the BH shaft down on end and threaded it ---the only thing else I could think of would be a taper on the BH shaft from 1/2" to 1/4".--there are no set screws in the front of the sleeve to hold the BH shaft in, but there are two set screws in the back 3/4" ID section of the sleeve to mount on 3/4" shaft.--Does the Moore Ultra have a threaded 7/8" long shaft on it ?--do you know if the Moore Ultra had a sleeved shaft come with it at all ?--also do you know when they made them ? --I got this one used in approx 1988 or 1989--I hate to try and unsrew the shaft from the 1"ID 2" long sleeve untill I'm sure that it is threaded on------somehow though I don't think it would be on a taper without a tang that was round. --Dave

The Moore is a taper fit on the shaft. Yours does appear to be a straight shaft. If you don't have to take it apart, leave it intact. It looks to be threaded on. It's a tough call.

"Billy G"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back