Un-square square lathe tool bit

C

cg285

Forum Guest
Register Today
i don't know if anyone has run into this but while gearing up to make a shaper tool holder i went to test fit a 1/4" hss lathe bit into one of those commercially available round sleeves with a square hole. i could almost get a .257 pin ga though the sleeve and the bit meas .255. no way jose would that even start to go together. put it on the surface grinder and touched up 2 sides. it was obvious it was one of those parallelogram squares. (at this point you can hold it up to the light, when in the sleeve, and get a visual)

made in china but i didn't know that when i bought them from mcmaster. i don't know how anal i need to be but i was going to indicate the sleeve square with the holder. could be out a few thou differently every time a new bit is put in.. would be a *****, i assume, to perfectly square that 1/4" bit. don't know if there is another source that's better.

i guess i could spend a bunch of time getting something square to align it with but seems like an improper use of time.

edit: i guess the "B" word is not kosher here haha

In a similar vein; I bought some hot rolled 1/2*3/4 mild steel. What arrived looked a lot like a 5/8 round bar that had been run through a flattening roller to end up at 1/2 thick in one dimension with most of the original radius as the other dimension--NOT even close to flat.

In my experience, HR is seldom flat, let alone square. This is especially true for smaller sizes.

I have had a lot of HR round through collets in the turret lathe for threading, most I have seen has been reasonably round.

Some tool bits are parallelograms used in screw machine tools.

Some tool bits are parallelograms used in screw machine tools.

there it is haha. i was in LANKister once when i bought some gm tooling that Premix ran the parts at that time

Back