Underwhelmed By Noga Base?

I have the same issue. I am very unimpressed with it. Its funny but I was playing with it the other day. I put some angle iron used in electrical work on a shelf, and tried attaching it. The Noga fell off, the others held. The noga holds well on hot rolled angle, but for 174 lbs, of hold, it should hold better than my lightweight units, and it doesn't.

My arm is just so, so. it is very stiff and doesn't release well.
Unimpressed.

I have the same problem with the small Noga mag base. It is a weakling. The regular size Noga has an adequate mag base, but not super strong. I do store them with metal across the magnet faces.

Strange..my 2 Noga magnetic bases cannot be pried off the surfaces I've used them on. Much stronger than the other magnetic bases I have.

I wonder if there are counterfeit noga's out there. Like mitutoyo.

I wonder if there are counterfeit noga's out there. Like mitutoyo.
Yep! They are all over eBay for under $30 with a cheap indicator included. Been tempted to buy one, but I have way too many dial indicators and Starrett Magnetic bases in my tool collection that I don't need anymore! Ken

I, like most of you have a very weak base. I've always hated it and thought about replacing it for just that reason. In the catalog it shows 2 different holding power ratings and thought that I would get the one with the stronger hold. I how see that the 175 lb hold is insufficient and I will now save my money and get something else. I bought mine from what I would think to be a reputable tool company "Travers Tools." Thanks for the post.

Has anyone who has a weak mag base sent Noga an email explaining your disappointment?
Be polite and professional, you won't know their response until you tell them you have a problem/issue.

Mike

Many so called "permanent magnets" are adversely affected by shock.
Perhaps some of these used ones have been dropped by a previous owner, and sold off because they do not hold.

-brino

EDIT: this thread made me go check mine......my Noga base is stronger than my cheap Chinese brand, but I have never had a problem with either.

Last edited:
brino, got mine from Enco, and it was brand new. I picked up the stronger unit, and the fine adjustment is built into the base, otherwise I would replace it with the chinese base I have that is stronger.

If anyone has a medium size Noga that they'd like to sell, I'd be interested. Please send me a PM. Just about anything should be better than my present Chinese holder.

Back