Unenclosed 1/2 HP cherrying head motor mount repair

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thought I would share a little repair that is in progress. Working on cleaning up and resurrecting the Cherrying head I bought at auction a few weeks back. Broken pivot slot on the motor base:

IMG_20171227_173124718.jpg

Filler piece milled, ground, and filed from a 3/8" piece cut off 3" ductile iron rod I had in stock:

IMG_20171227_173142891.jpg

Rough fit for brazing tomorrow:

IMG_20171227_173159778.jpg

After brazing will visit a friend whose Bridgeport is up and running, to clean up around the repair. Should turn out just fine. Will post finished pictures when done.

Last edited:
SB, I found a cast iron wheel blank on McMaster that should work out just fine. 9" diameter. unfinished casting. It will be a wee bit before I get to that point, as I have almost totally disassembled the blasted thing......sat in high humidity for too long. It absolutely can be saved, but she is all in pieces, and being cleaned and de-rusted as I go. I'll try to get a few pics if I can.

Last edited:
I wondered while looking at my new grizzly catalog , they have some nice cast iron handles at good prices. Like $25 for a complete two piece set. Spinner and handle. Good luck with the restoration.

SD, thanks, I'll check them out. The McMaster one is just a "as cast" wheel, that needs to have the hub machined. It does have the handle on it though. I'll check Grizzly out before I take the plunge. McMaster wants $80 + shipping for it. While I am willing to spend the cabbage, I also wouldn't mind not spending 4 Jacksons +..............................either way, I need to get one at some point.

IMG_20171230_125053567[1].jpg

IMG_20171230_125038884[1].jpg

Now, off to my friends house to mill and clean this up a wee bit (unless he can't), then it's me and the die grinder! LOL.

Looks like a good, solid repair. I wouldn't bother with the mill. Hit the high spots with die grinder, and finish with a flap wheel, or sanding disc. Mike

I agree , might cause more damage trying to set it up. Couple shots with a grinder, and file or scotch brite and go to the next part.

thanks guys, maybe I'll just do the die grinder approach and finish off with the flapper disc.

IMG_20171230_155456724[1].jpg

I think this will work. I did shatter my 1/4" carbide burr on it. I put the 1/2" one in to finish. While not perfect, it will be very serviceable.

Last edited:
Back