Unheated Shop Lubrication Issues

The Z axis drive should be enclosed, so should not be a problem with chips. It could be that the motor is marginal and the additional viscosity of the stock grease is a problem. If using oil, I would use way oil, but that would be a short term solution and would need periodic reapplication. As previously mentioned, I would suggest air craft grease or a synthetic grease which are designed to work over a wider temperature range. You might also consider something like Mobil 1 synthetic grease or Super Lube synthetic with PTFE in a very thin layer. I have used synthetic gear oils in the head of mills and picked up some top end speed and worked better over a wide temperature range.

Update:
I spent some time to make sure head ways were clean and lubricated with ISO 32. Then removed all the grease on the z axis leadscrew using kerosene. Then lubed the leadscrew with some lubriplate mag-00 which is a low viscosity grease with wide temperature range. Those actions were a big improvement. I still need to give the motor a little help when trying to lift the head for the first time after sitting in the cold but it goes down easily. After a few up and down cycles things loosen up and works as expected. Seems like the motor torque is marginal but I don't know if it's within spec. I'm going to call Grizzly and see if I can get a new motor. It's still in warranty. We'll see...

From a guy down here in south Texas, we rarely get below 30* here and if my shop is 45* or below, I have to run the heater or go back in the house and chug coffee.
Working in a colder than ice shop....?...You guys are crazy.

Respectfully of course-........................................ but crazy just the same. :grin:

Back