Unheated shop rust prevention

skrewd

Registered
Registered
Hello any miracle products or than grease to prevent sweat rust on machines in unheated shops? Never ending battle I am losing.

Fluid Film https://nlsproducts.ca/shop/products/fluid-film seams to work well. The last time I moved I sprayed all my machines with WD40 thinking it was short term storage in a 20 foot sea container. Within a week or two I started seeing rust. Bought a gallon of this and brushed it on everything. The tools were in storage for a little over a year. Wiped them down with solvent and found no rust at all. Sold me. Has a funny smell, probably the lanolin in it, sure softens your hands.

Greg

Been fighting for over 5 years now in East TN, and keep losing the battle.
I put furniture paste wax on the Table Saws and Drill Press tables and cheap vises and it working pretty well,
metal working tooling not so much.
WDNich gave me a sample of this (Ballistol) that I've use on 1-2-3 Blocks, Angles, Lathe Chucks, Albrecht Chucks, fine hand tools, ETC. and it is working very well.
-=- LINK -=-

Insulate your shop, seal gaps around doors and windows then use a dehumidifier. If this is not possible then f350ca has the other answer.

Thanks on order, will give it a try.

Can’t seal the barn at this time and the two car garage is my woodworking area even its bonus room has over ten grand in cherry, “I will use eventually “.lol

middle.road, not sure what you mean by furniture paste wax but I have had good results with beeswax furniture polish. Excellent for cast iron and steel. Gives a protective coat (more than one coat may be applied) and makes handles and wheels much more pleasant to touch.
Dredb

Can’t seal the barn at this time and the two car garage is my woodworking area even its bonus room has over ten grand in cherry said:
One of the guys over here built a shed inside his barn. This was a stone barn in the north of England (damp), it was grade 3 listed (heritage site) so he wasn't allowed to make alterations to the building. Just an idea, worked for him!

I haven’t had success with bees wax, in my case the bees come back to reclaim it, I don’t argue with them.

:) Yes, there may be a difference in the formulation of wax polishes, paste furniture and car waxes over here contain a high proportion of water, which is not what's needed. The stuff I'm talking about is mostly beeswax with the addition of camphor and not much else, it is not cheap and is intended for antique furniture, really is very good on metal. We usually swap the wax for some sugar so the bees are happy too!
Dredb

I live on the coast and my shop is un heated and uninsulated. I was talking to a guy who rebuilt machine tools for a living for most of his life. He was the one who told me about Fluid Film. Goofy name, goofy dated looking can, not cheap, but totally amazing stuff! Best of all it's completely non toxic and seems to last forever. And it's available at auto parts stores. It has completely stopped all the rust on all my machines and one can goes a long way. I told my neighbor who has a fishing boat that fishes off the coast here and it's stopped all his rust.

Back