Unheated shop rust prevention

For what it's worth, Fluidfilm spray has worked very well for me here in WI - it does get below 15 degrees in my shop quite often during the winter months.....sometimes below (-) 0 for a few days at a time....

As a small manufacturer I have parts laser cut and then have to store them until I powdercoat them. So I can't just squirt stuff down because it's too hard to clean for powdercoating. I thought about the paper wrapping and while looking into it found this https://www.theruststore.com/Bull-Frog-Rust-Blocker-Strips-P23C22.aspx

These are used by local fisherman to keep their tackle from rusting from the salt water. So I bought a couple of packs and also found a good sized plastic storage box with a nice seal at Target. The Bullfrog strips are like foam with a sticky back so you can stick them on the lid of a tackle box. You don't want to have your pieces you are trying to keep from corroding resting on the strips, so I stick them high inside the box where pieces don't rest on them. This has totally stopped my rust problem which has sped things up for me because before this I spent more time cleaning up the pieces than powdercoating! I have left some stuff for months in the box and they look like I just put them in there. And best of all it leaves nothing on the pieces that imped the powdercoat from sticking.

The rust store, that site should just about cover it.

Now if the mail would finally deliver in this five inch snow, my old firebird had no trouble in this but her “new jeep does “, I should loan her my cj7,lol

Fluid film works great and last a long time. Unfortunately your tools smell like wet sheep...
Robert

Is that like wet dog? Is it musty like mildew? Rust is my enemy, I could make a few passes with sulfur cutting oil on the lathe to perfume up the shop.

dehumidifier .. more than one if the shop is large enough. I have mine on a timer to run at night into morning. They actually add a little heat to the air too. If U get the moisture in the air down low enough, the rust problem will disappear. Unless u leave doors open, then ...oh well.... smelling like wet dog is in your future.... :>)

I use a product called Slip-it. It works great on my cast iron table saw. It's kinda like a wax...
You put it on with a brush and it drys. You can;t see or feel if when you finished. No more rust problem.

Reactions: Z2V
Mobil Vactra 2 and thin plastic layed on the bed and ways..Kept things rust free all winter and this incredibly humid summer !

I've used most of the spray lubricants and rust preventive coatings but the best thing I did was install 2 large ceiling fans that run continuously in my shop. Keeping the air moving makes it harder to condense on my equipment during large temperature changes.

I've had pretty good luck using chainsaw bar oil, I spread it on pretty thick with a cheapo chip brush after wiping every thing down with a WD40 soaked rag to displace any moisture. I'm sure there are better ways but this works for me. I'm located in NW Oregon so it does get a bit damp here.

Back