Unimat 3 for someone trying to lift themselves out of deep depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMich

Former Member
Tried of being outbidded on ebay for machines that are really not worth what they’re selling for on ebay.

Anyone have a Unimat 3 for sale for a reasonable price?

I took some machining classes in college but never pursued it. Now I’m in the worst depression I’ve ever had, therapy and medications don’t work for it since its more me realizing my life will only be getting worse going forward.

If you know anyone, please pass my info along.

Sorry to hear about your situation, I hope you find something.

Tried of being outbidded on ebay for machines that are really not worth what they’re selling for on ebay.

Anyone have a Unimat 3 for sale for a reasonable price?

I took some machining classes in college but never pursued it. Now I’m in the worst depression I’ve ever had, therapy and medications don’t work for it since its more me realizing my life will only be getting worse going forward.

If you know anyone, please pass my info along.

Have you looked at Taig? Similar size / capability and for what many are asking for a Unimat you can get a very well tooled Taig set up.

You might find something you like here at a reasonable price. Prices drop over time but people will snatch them up if you wait too long. Price you see is what you pay (plus tax). Their main location is Cleveland, OH (4-5 hour drive from you) but there is a new location that just opened in Novi, MI that might be getting some inventory. I got my 12x36 lathe from there for $1100. Deals do show up but you have to be a bit patient to find them. 30 day return policy, buyer pays shipping if needed.

You'll mostly see bigger stuff, but keep your eyes peeled.

Also I feel for you and how you're feeling. Covid changes in the world have really left everyone struggling I think (not to belittle your situation). Wife and I have had some rough stuff happen in the past year and certainly have been struggling. Don't overlook visiting a mental health professional (although it sounds like you have - perhaps try a different one), they can be very helpful in making you not feel alone in dealing with your situation. For me, getting outside a lot with the nicer weather has made a world of difference. Lots of good hiking/biking trails out your way.

Last edited:
I looked for several years before I found good deals in my area. Lot of waiting but the feeling of success was awesome. This was for a lathe and a mill.

As I spoke otherwhere, sometimes the answer is to find something that is not the most desirable but would get the job done. Taig and Sherline are very good machines, albeit somewhat limited in size. If you were to consider a very low end machine, low as in dirt (literally) low, what about Harbor Freight's mini lathe. Granted, it is essentially a kit that has been assembled but not trued. But is about as cheap as one will find. Once it has been disassembled and trued, the next step would be to replace those plastic change gears. Metal gears can be had, Little Machine Shop I think carries a set. All in all, the HF machine is at the bottom of its' class, but it can make parts within the limitations of its' size. And most of the "aftermarket" tooling will be usable on other, larger, better, more reliable, etc, machines when the time comes.

My experience is that if I immerse myself in anything new, opportunities present themselves quickly.
If you make yourself available in every way possible, a well-priced lathe will almost-magically appear out of nowhere.
The key is to be vigilant and prepared to act quickly.

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time with deep depression. It's important to remember that reaching out for support is crucial, and I encourage you to consider reaching out to a therapy hotline to talk to a professional who can provide guidance and assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back