Unimat DB200 found in Garage Sale for $20

DoctorBill

Registered
Registered
About a month ago, I found an old rusty Unimat DB200 in a Garage Sale for $20.

I grabbed THAT fast ! Had a 4 jaw chuck, a Tool Holder Plate and an Indexer.

Unimat Austria DB200 $20.jpg

Cleaned it up - removed rust and reassembled it. It works fine !

Unimat Austria DB200 Cleaned Up - Ax.jpg

Bought a Tool Post, Tail Stock, two Dead Centers and a 3 Jaw Chuck on e-bay. O-Rings at Grainger. It is working now.

Made a Hand Wheel for the Tail Stock out of Aluminum and Cut the Tool Post down to size.
I made the Front Position Holding Pin out of a 4mm Drill Rod and Aluminum Rod (top).
Unimat Hand Wheel WAF made.jpg

I will give it to my son for Christmas. He is studying to become a Jeweler.

Unimat Austria DB200 Cleaned Up - X2.jpg
Left out the "Tool Holding Plate" in the top photo - forgot it in the picture.....

Unimat Alignment.jpg
I need to adjust the Way Rods to improve alignment. Any suggestions ?

Hope he likes it. His mother facets stones and will want to use it, also.

DoctorBill

Last edited:
A buy like that is much too good to pass up. For a jeweler, it will make a fine machine. I used one for many years to work on model trains. Had to go to a larger machine so I could cut threads. The indexer is crutial for some work. I never could find one for my machine. Take care of it.

I'm sure he'll love it! What a bargain.

great deal.. the indexing fixture is a fast 150.00 by itself.. the quick change tool holder set sold ebay works well.. when I picked up some micro cutting tools I emailed the seller and he cut a deal on blank holders for me.. machine and drill as needed.. with the stock motor the slow speed bracket helps.. (someone was making them aftermarket..)

don't take this the wrong way but.......

:you suck:

Seriously, nice score!!!! :eagerness:

there is not much adjustment in the way-rails
possibly you could shim one side or the other and tighten the rails to get offset.
the headstocks very rarely run true to the ways on the unimats and a slight taper is generally the result
you can split hairs on headstock alignment and way alignment, but often these problems can be worked around rather than endlessly tinkering with alignment
often times, a few licks with a file can correct for slight misalignment.

if you are so inclined, i made a few videos (22 videos ) on the lil unimats- maybe some information may be useful to you
here is my channel:

here is the list of my unimat videos

Last edited:
i could sure use that milling plate. Mine walked off with the face plate. still awol 4 yrs now. i paid $30 but the mice ate the cord off, what PITA to change almost as powerful as a few ants, i can stop mine with my thumb

My wife found (for $12) a large "Suitcase" type of Box for me to put the Unimat components into.
It is STRONG ! Hope not TOO heavy.....
Been busy with other things of late, but I want to get back to setting it up with hard Foam
'Pockets' in it for each component. That way, if they are put back faithfully, they won't
get misplaced or, God Forbid, LOST !

Unimat Box - A.jpg
Unimat Box - B.jpg

Has a "Piano" type Hinge. No idea what it was used for before.
Unimat Box - C.jpg
I want to spray paint it Flat Brown, rip out that OLD foam rubber liner and
put in some type of hard plastic (like in Pool Noodles) - called Polyethylene
Foam, I think. Cut slots or cubicles for the Chuck, Face Plate, Dead centers,
etc, etc, etc.... No intention of putting the Lathe itself in there.

Am I pushing this thing TOO FAR ? !

DoctorBill

For years mine resided in a metal (military surplus) transit case. I cut the front of the case and put in a hinge so things could slide in and out. With a (plywood) base and tool container and all the tooling, it was a heavy two handed carry. Bit of a load even for two men.

Back