Unimat DB200, Light- Zamak Model

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I received a Unimat DB200, that i won at auction, today by Fed Ex !!!!! :grin:
it didn't come with much but i have been looking for accessories in preparation, more tooling is coming!

I'll call her, Eula

i was able to find some history on lathes uk.com, on the unimats

here is the unit i picked up
it has a 95 watt type U 90 brushed motor, that develops a whopping 1/10 Hp !!!

IMG_3855.jpg
it is a sweet little machine,
13 spindle speeds from 150 rpm to 6000, by belt and idler system
1/4"spindle through hole
8MM straight spindle and tailshaft sockets
M12x1.0 headstock and tailstock threads

IMG_3852.jpg

here is the beast in milling/Drilling mode

IMG_3849.jpg

i'll post the accessories as i get them, as well as the projects that come for the little one!

just don't expect to much out of it as a mill,, I did mod an ER16 collet holder for the spindle thread and modded the column for leadscrew control,, functions so so.. a better VS motor is a great addition,, more power and range without swapping belts,, a buddy shaft to align and quickly check the head alignment great time saver..

Attachments

• IMGP0057.JPG
    IMGP0057.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMGP0056.JPG
    IMGP0056.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
i can't believe it sold for $1000 :dejected:
they are cool, but way over-valued IMO

Yeah, when I was first looking for a mini-lathe some suggested finding a Unimat. I think they are neat lathes, but the collectible aspect is starting to drive their prices up beyond their actual utility. I see a lot of them where the seller is asking a price that would buy a new, better tooled mini-lathe.

That $1000 one is a perfect example. Looks like a decently cared for Unimat with some accessories and a nice (original?) wooden box. Probably a nice score for a collector.

But $1000 for a 40-50 year old lathe and this tooling

1000dollar Unimat.jpg

Vs $1200 for a brand new lathe with active support and this tooling, including the ability to cut threads. Of course used market you can get this or better tooled for less than $1000.

8inch Sherline C pack.jpg

Back