Unimat-sl db 200 restoration

got approved to use a sandblasting station on sunday so thats a little bit closer to being done, still need to order the paint, but the grease should be here this weekend so will know if new bearings are needed or not

here is an update of this project, been getting pulled in many ways so had less time for reading/posting stuff in places

IMG_20220330_194958.jpg

its now usable, but I dont think the paint will last its a harden metal paint but it seemed very off (like 4+ days cure time)
tailstock's paint got messed up as I touched it to soon

slowly making/buying things for it to get it for project use, right now the big one is figuring out if I can set it up for drilling things or if I need a drill press for that.

stupid lathe ? is there a easy way to mount things onto the lathe carriage to drill them? I know most things have you mount on the spindle side and the drill bit is held in the tail stock but my tailstock only has about 1/3 inch travel, and I'll need to drill stuff about 3 inchs deep

also if anyone knows of a 4 jaw chuck that is thin (about an inch from mount to face) thats 12X1mm threading and a good brand that would be very usefull mainly been finding zinc alloy stuff on my own

the unimat tailstock should have much more travel!!
the tail stock pipes guide grove is less then an inch long, will be easier to do this is mm as thats what my calipers do
its 22.6mm long grove it starts getting chattery at about 7mm out so yes it could go the full 22.6mm out but it would be lose and jittery

(1 inch is 25.4mm just fyi)

Yeah the tailstock only has like 5/8" of travel. You could clamp, drill, then unclamp and slide closer and repeat. Or you could start it in lathe mode, then transform into drill press mode to finish the rest.

Yeah the tailstock only has like 5/8" of travel. You could clamp, drill, then unclamp and slide closer and repeat. Or you could start it in lathe mode, then transform into drill press mode to finish the rest.
drill press mode wont really help much more, its travel is 31.5mm (from the manual) even flipping the item over would not get me to 76.2mm needed for some of these projects, so I am either buying a drill press (there are some $100 ones that should work) or finding a none pain in the butt way to mount work material on the carriage in line with the middle of the lathe

Perhaps a small angle plate could be bolted to the cross slide using the same bolt that holds the tool holder on, this would then create a vertical drill press "table", mount your drill bit in the lathe chuck. Some lathes have milling attachments with a vise and vertical adjustment that mount to the cross slide. That said, a drill press will be a lot more handy for most stuff

I recently had a correspondence with rustoleum and they said parts can be used after about a week but the paint attains maximum hardness after about a month. This was brush on paint and the can suggests much quicker times.

Last edited:
i got input from a few places after looking at the numbers and things decided to just pick up a small drill press that can at least do a 3in travel

but i got this here
video of the lathe running with a tiny load on it the clicking sound is the tools in the background

Back