UNIVERSAL DIVIDING HEAD BS-2 PARTS

@Suzuki4evr
Hi Michael,

You might consider 3D-printed gears here. Many people worry about their strength, but i) some new lathes come with at least one plastic gear as a sort of "crash fuse", and ii) you just need indexing, your use on the divider will likely never see even cutting forces if you manually set the position then lock the brake, make your cut, unlock, step, lock and cut, etc. (Unless, of course, you are generating the gears with a hob under power.)

Two offers:
1) If you can find a 3D printing service locally I could generate the STL model files on Fusion-360 and send them to you.

2) I could print you a set of plastic gears and mail them to you.

Either option at no cost to you!

If you're interested just let me know your final specifications (DP or mod, tooth count, gear thickness, bore dia., pressure-angle)

Brian
Hi @brino a.k.a Brian.

Here follow the gear diamentions for the gears I need. All gears are DP12 14.5°PA and the gears are 18mm or 0.708" thick.

24 TOOTH GEAR
OD=55.02mm = 2.165"

28 TOOTH GEAR
OD=63.48mm = 2.499"

32 TOOTH GEAR
OD=71.94 = 2.832"

38 TOOTH GEAR
OD=84.64mm = 3.332"

44 TOOTH GEAR
OD=97.34mm = 3.832"

If you need anything else from me,just let me know. Brian before you start,just make sure about shipping costs to Wellington,Western Cape,7655 South Africa. I don't want this to be a surprise fo any of us. Let me know when you know. If it is too expensive then I will take you up on your first offer of the STL model files (I don't understand any of that mind you.)

Michael,

I think the only missing spec is the bore diameter.

I will try to stop at the post office today.... I probably need to find something similar in size and weight to get a good estimate....thinking...thinking....

Brian

O sorry I forgot. That is 1" with a 1/4" keyway. Sadly I do not have a 1/4" broach,just 6mm.

Hi Michael,

Good news! I stopped by the post office yesterday with four similar gears (rejects from previous prints; I think I had the temperature set wrong or something). I dropped them into a padded shipping envelope, she weighed them and said it was under CAD $15 to ship to you.
That's already less than I thought, so I am absolutely willing to go ahead and start printing gears for you.

If you are happy with those specs you gave above, then I will attempt to generate all the model files tonight.
I will start printing one or two gears a night and be done by the weekend.
I can get them off to you by the weekend or early next week.

Brian

Hi Michael,

Good news! I stopped by the post office yesterday with four similar gears (rejects from previous prints; I think I had the temperature set wrong or something). I dropped them into a padded shipping envelope, she weighed them and said it was under CAD $15 to ship to you.
That's already less than I thought, so I am absolutely willing to go ahead and start printing gears for you.

If you are happy with those specs you gave above, then I will attempt to generate all the model files tonight.
I can get them off to you by the weekend or early next week.

Brian
Thats not so bad even in my currency 1CAD =R13.25,so about R200.00

I am fairly sure about those specs. Like I mentioned to @mil before,I can't imagine that the pitch is metric if everthing else measures imperial,that is why I went with it and got DP12 14.5PA and not M2 20PA. So I think we can go ahead with it. Thanks Brian.

Brian,before you actualy start printing the gears,I just want to double check the math tommorow morning if that is ok with you. I am pretty sure about the specs,but I just want to check. I don't want to waist your time.

Did you not have a few gears to check?

Gears are a little out of my skill level so I’m not sure how much help I would be there.

Unless someone can talk me through it… :eek 2:

Did you not have a few gears to check?

Gears are a little out of my skill level so I’m not sure how much help I would be there.

Unless someone can talk me through it… :eek 2:
I do. Its just that I have a Module 2 cutter with tooth count that corrospond with one of the gears and when I fit the cutter to the gear it kind of fits perfect,but like I said metric does not seem that it SHOUL work here and that's why I will just recheck tomorrow.

Ok Brian,I think you can pull the trigger on this with the specs I gave. I did my math and measurements again today and I am going with my gut and go with DP12 at 14.5°PA and not the module 2 20°. If I am wrong about that,well then it's on me and then I will be a bit flabbergasted. The bore must be just so that it wil fit over a 1" shaft so I guess 2thou bigger? Here is the range of gears I do have,just for interest sake. I still need to drop them in a bucket of vinegar to clean them up.

20230315_110736.jpg

Hey Brian I heard or read somewhere that if you send a parcel overseas and you mark it as a gift,then there is no or low custom fees aswell. Do you know something about that? Or anybody else for that matter? I know one-time I was testing the waters for buying on Banggood and the package was marked "gift",I think that is where I got it from. PM me when you are ready and I will give you my full address.

Will you take pics and post them as you go,because I find this 3D printing totaly fascinating although I understand none of it:D.

Back