UNIVERSAL DIVIDING HEAD BS-2 PARTS

Michael,

You may still decide to cut new gears yourself in steel or aluminum, but soon you'll have these plastic ones to use in the gear train to help.
They might just be a "stepping stone", but that's great!

Yes I do find this fun, and it does still amaze me that I can do this at home so easily.

Here are some pictures:

The printer starts with an outline and then fills it in.
The next layer is done in a different direction.

View attachment 441838

View attachment 441839

View attachment 441840

View attachment 441841

The printer is a Lulzbot Taz-6.
You can see some air bubbles under the surface layer of the heated table.
They have never caused any issue, so I ignore them.

The last gear is printing now, I will pile them up for a "family photo" later.

Brian
This is so flipping cool. I love it. Brian my idea is to use these gears and if they last for a while,...I think they will probably outlast me....then that will be the end of it. Maybe one day if I sell the DH,then I will probably make steel ones just to make it easier to sell,bu for now if my calculations were right and they mesh good with my gears....why bother. I can't wait just to see how it all works out.

I am still learning the CAD part.
Sometimes I find Fusion-360 very frustrating, but then I do not use it enough.
However using the Fusion Spur Gear Add-In is extremely easy.
When I retire, I plan to pick a CAD tool and spend a few weeks getting proficient.

I may go with FreeCAD simple because I hate when the tool interface changes and since Fusion is all web-based they seem to change something and require an update every time I fire it up. With FreeCAD I can decide if any added features are worth the change to me before updating it.

I had been trying to follow along on some Fusion you-tube training videos (Lars Christensen), but then AutoDesk changed to the ribbon interface, and those videos were out of date .....and I quit. I have not forgiven AutoDesk (or Microsoft for f'ing up excel and word) for the ribbon interface. I guess I sound like a grumpy old man, but at least with excel I found an add-in to give me the old menus back.

Brian
Learning CAD seems to be an ongoing process, at least for those of us starting out. It can be frustrating at times when the way to do x seems incredibly convoluted. Sometimes I don't bother with documenting that cosmetic feature, because I don't know how to do it in a reasonable amount of time. As I get better at it, the power of the tools reveal themselves.

I took rebel at gratuitous user interface changes. Unless it adds capabilities, I'm against it, especially if the documentation lags behind. Because then it simply confuses the users and adds no value. I remember in the "old days" on a Unix platform, the customer representative bragged that there were 18 ways to do something. As a youngster I looked at him like he had a hole in his head. I only wanted one or two ways to get that done, one or two ways that would always work, not 18 ways that might not work depending on your situation. I realize now there can be nuances, but I do appreciate straight forward ways to accomplish things.

Hallo @Mill Lee farm , could measure the length of the slots for me on these,I see that measurement is not on your drawings. I recon that the slot starts about 0.570" from the end? It's probably not that crucial,but I would like to get as close as possible. Sorry for the bother.
1679574536068.pngThanks in advance.

Michael

Sure Michael,
I assume you mean the mounting slots in the 'gear mounts' (not sure what their proper name would be) in the bottom of the picture?

I can pull a measurement for you after I get home from work today.
(around 7 hrs?)

Chris

If there are no pictures.......it didn't happen......just saying.

As usual, I am running behind.
This time because I spent the last two nights helping a neighbour with his project.....

I have not had time to take/post pictures, or check my broach kits for the proper size cutters.
I am hoping to do both tonight.

Brian

W
As usual, I am running behind.
This time because I spent the last two nights helping a neighbour with his project.....

I have not had time to take/post pictures, or check my broach kits for the proper size cutters.
I am hoping to do both tonight.

Brian
Whenever you are ready Brian. O did you have a look at my PM message yet? Remember it is just a brain f@rt I had.

Sure Michael,
I assume you mean the mounting slots in the 'gear mounts' (not sure what their proper name would be) in the bottom of the picture?

I can pull a measurement for you after I get home from work today.
(around 7 hrs?)

Chris
I don't know why I would think this but.......I guess you forgot :big grin:

Michael,

Sorry for the delays on my end.... between work and all the other stuff (local scout groups using my shop for cub cars and scout trucks, getting over 20L of maple sap every day and trying to keep the boilers going, etc.) I am not where I wanted to be...... but I will get there!

Below are the photos I promised.
I still need to look at my broach stash and respond to your other questions in the PM.
I will try to have these mailed out in the next couple days.

Brian

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

Back