Universal tool holder extension...where can I get one the size I need?

Why not just use a large standard boring bar. What you are using now is a small Armstrong type of boring bar. Boring bar holders are common for Alores style holders

Why not just use a large standard boring bar. What you are using now is a small Armstrong type of boring bar. Boring bar holders are common for Alores style holders
You mean one basically like this?
1640212462562.png

Could you buy the appropriate size key stock and have a welding shop weld it to the tool holder you want. Have them TIG weld it, it's neater.

For better reach, the lantern post and boring holder works with a steel round shaft, with
brazed-on-end round, triangular, or square carbides. That just takes some hacksaw-and-file work and
a few minutes with brazing equipment. The 0XA holders are nice, but small (and clearance
is an issue, if you want to work in a deep groove or bore). In a 7" bowl, where would the
0XA post be fixed, and how would its tool get to the center AND the periphery?

8620 alloy is said to make a good braze-able tool element, onlinemetals.com has bar in small quantities...

There is also this style. Not quite as common but available in the used market. I think Southbend made one as well as Armstrong (or they may both have been made by Armstrong, not sure) and they can take a pretty big bar. For bowl turning you probably aren’t as worried about sneaking into difficult spots as much as getting the stoutest and longest bar that you can. This style might be something to consider.

1640221056126.png

-frank

This style with a sharp edged insert would cut wood nicely.
Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211222-200230_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211222-200230_Chrome.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 84
There are boring bars that take square tool bits

Attachments

• 1640242833122-2128054807.jpg
    1640242833122-2128054807.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 82
There is also this style. Not quite as common but available in the used market. I think Southbend made one as well as Armstrong (or they may both have been made by Armstrong, not sure) and they can take a pretty big bar. For bowl turning you probably aren’t as worried about sneaking into difficult spots as much as getting the stoutest and longest bar that you can. This style might be something to consider.

1640221056126.png
Yes , I have a couple of those if interested .

Back