Universal vise for a universal mill! 22L

dfsmoto

Registered
Registered
Need to make some bolt on jaws yet. My radius jaws held this piece of 10" solid 6061 aluminum through a .350" with an 80mm facemill so I think I can trust it to hold!

IMG_20180830_154712395.jpg

That style of vise is good for holding large and awkward shaped parts to the table, and it takes up zero headroom under the spindle, which can be useful. It does, however, also spring the table surface into a convex curve, which can affect the results of the shape of the finished part, and might make the warp permanent if you gronk down too much on the work...

That was a generic comment, your 22L is a pretty stiff and solid machine and probably won't know the difference.

That style of vise is good for holding large and awkward shaped parts to the table, and it takes up zero headroom under the spindle, which can be useful. It does, however, also spring the table surface into a convex curve, which can affect the results of the shape of the finished part, and might make the warp permanent if you gronk down too much on the work...

That was a generic comment, your 22L is a pretty stiff and solid machine and probably won't know the difference.
Yeah I'm sure she's been through alot worse!

I did think about the flex some. I made it where the jaws fit into the t slots and it won't even fit my lighter duty mill. I think she will handle it as long as they aren't set too far apart and torqued down too tight.

Back