Unknown Cross vise

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
I have had this for over 20 years and only used it a few times, I ran across it the other day and figured I needed to clean it up.

The only markings on it is T50 nothing else. I know it couldn't have come from China but mite be from Japan.

It is well made with jibs and numbered dials. So anybody got a hint about who build this thing.

Paul

Vise.JPG Vise 2.JPG T50.JPG

Could be HF but not necessarily. Casting differs slightly but then again castings & hardware can change over the years too. Is it T50 or 150? I would figure 150 which probably means it's a 6" size so it's most likely an import.

I figured it was a import just not from China, It is tight with know slop a little back lash but that can be fixed.

I'm going to fixed it up and use it on the drill press.

Paul

Probaly not made in China, 20 years ago Harbor Freight tools would have been made in Taiwan or Japan.

i got mine at a flea market,cheap.
after a lot of cleaning and lapping the dovetails smooth,it functions surprisingly acceptably.
i have used it about .003'' accuracy ,repeatably, unless you lean on the screw too hard, then all bets are off.
have fun with her!
mike:))

They are great for making ring cutters for a wood lathe...

I bought one of those a few years back. It was really poorly finished. So I took to it with scraper and accurate measuring tools, finishing it properly from the bottom up. A great tool in the end.
16012012604.jpg

Back