Unknown Lathe Cutters

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have 2 double ended lathe cutters that came in a lot I bought. The only markings are to identify each end & read: UNDER 1/2" DIA., 1/2" TO 1 1/4" DIA., 1 1/4 TO 3 DIA., 3" DIA & OVER.

The only difference I can find in comparing all 4 ends is in the rake of the angle leading to the tip. Sorry for the pics as I could not capture the marking with my camera.

IMG_20181113_233747757_HDR.jpgIMG_20181113_233807740.jpg
IMG_20181111_005412056.jpg
IMG_20181111_005443076_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181111_005449727_HDR.jpg

Face grooving tools maybe? Although possibly not seeing as they appear to be ground to a point.

SamI pics are aweful. Not ground to a point. Square face of less than a 32nd is the same for all 4 ends.

That's the beauty of HSS tooling, you can grind em to any profile you need. There probably billions of custom ground tools out there.

John, they are not sharp & look unused. You might be correct! So, how would they be used as gauges though?

Good question, but the fact that they are stamped or engraved with that info tells me that they are not likely cutting tools, but some special gage for some special job. The fact that they exhibit grinding reliefs in the corners speaks loudly "GAGE".

They are the inserts for Brown & Sharpe No. 900 clearance gage. I have the Starrett gage, not a B&S model. The two are of significantly different designs, but both are used to measure the clearance angle on horizontal milling machine cutters. The starrett is more versatile, I believe, but I could be wrong having never used the B&S.

Prices for these are crazy in that they range from $20 to $80 - but none seem to have both of the inserts. 1 on ebay has the ends ground off the single insert that is included. Should've bought that. I found a cheaper 1 & bought it before really looking at what all is out there. I actually do want to sharpen my horizontal mill cutters. So, this gauge can be of use! I thank you all for your help.

Back