Unknown Vintage Lathe

jsphox

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a vintage lathe so I could start turning, however the person who sold me it didn't specify what type of lathe it is, and it doesn't say anything on the lathe itself.. does anyone think they can help identify this machine? The desk came with the lathe, not sure if it's OEM or not, have no information regarding the lathe at all, anything would help! :)

IMG-0544.JPG

IMG-0545.JPG

IMG-0546 (1).JPG

Looks like a Frankenlathe to me, built from various random parts.

Looks like a South Bend heavy 10 from photos I've seen on a bench not the original stand and either re-powered or motor shifted. Perhaps some South Bend owners would know. Needs a scrub. It has a lot missing so probably only good for bits or use as a wood lathe. What did you want to turn?

It is missing some parts, that's for sure. The lead screw for one. I think I can see a squarish unpainted patch at each end of the bed casting where the lead screw bearings would have been. There's also no compound to speak of. I see the saddle and cross slide, but then an odd-looking right angle affair with T-slot where I would expect to see the compound slide. Kind of difficult to tell from the photos though.

There's something about the castings that look Indian to me (as in from India) but that's just a feeling I get. Whatever it is, or was, I think might be pretty hard to find out unless someone happens to have one just like it. Stranger things have happened though, so you never know.

Good luck with the search!

-frank

Maybe posting some better pictures would be helpful! Not trying to be a smart@$$ or anything but the pictures you posted are kinda hard to see the finer details especially with Older Eyes!

The lead screw and power feed assembly I have, however it's missing a few gears so it's pretty finicky if I do mount it. I was planning on turning metal with it, I don't really know much about lathes though so I hoped to find out the model so I could order some parts, also sorry for the pictures, when I get home I'll upload some new ones. :)

Last edited:
Definitely not South Bend, looks to be fairly old, like late 1800s or early 1900s (no gear guards) The fact that it has no compound leads me to think that it was not made to cut threads.

Interesting design. Two Vee ways for the tail stock, but only one for the carriage. Looks like wipers for the lead screw on each side of the apron. The bed looks hefty for the size, but the carriage looks cheap.

Interesting design. Two Vee ways for the tail stock, but only one for the carriage. Looks like wipers for the lead screw on each side of the apron. The bed looks hefty for the size, but the carriage looks cheap.
Maybe its just cause im looking at the pictures on my smartphone but to me it looks like the carriage is running on 3 Vee ways and the tailstock on 2! Please tell me what im missing here......

Back