Unloading etc.

ronzo

Active User
Registered
I'm contemplating buying a new & larger milling machine. The problem I have is that based on past experience the trucking co. will only deliver it to curbside. So I have to get it from the truck and the length of my driveway. the mill weighs about 800lbs. What do I need to get it there and then down a bulkhead door and stairs into my basement. How would you coordinate all of the above ? with riggers/movers and/or moving equipment. I'm alone and a senior. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ron

Ron, moving an 800lb mill can be a problem if you have not had any experience.
Hireing a rigger would be the easiest route, they will send 2 or 3 experienced men with all the equipment and be done in less than an hour. Most riggers I know will charge drive time to and from their location, it can get expensive very fast, but it is quick, easy, and safe.
I have used landscapers that have a bobcat or hackhoe to take machinery off of trucks, others have used tow trucks from local garages. This way you can get the machine off and brought to the bulkhead door pretty easily and safely. Whether these people will be able to get it down the stairs and into place is a matter of negotiation.
At that point you could start to disassemble and carry parts in by hand, or try to hire some help if you can't do it alone.
Help is out there, it is generally not too big a job for the right people.
It is worth a few hundred dollars to not damage your new mill or yourself. It ends up being part of the cost of buying machinery, and is money well spent.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
Larry

Ron,

Larry's advice is good and sound. Moving heavy objects is easy if you have the necessary manpower with the right experience and have the correct equipment, but can be a killer if any of those key elements are missing. Proper knowledge and correct equipment are the key items here. Many times a person can improvise and do quite well with a little bit of forethought, but the planning will need to be very thorough and detailed for everything to go smoothly.

Ron,

Larry's advice is good and sound. Moving heavy objects is easy if you have the necessary manpower with the right experience and have the correct equipment, but can be a killer if any of those key elements are missing. Proper knowledge and correct equipment are the key items here. Many times a person can improvise and do quite well with a little bit of forethought, but the planning will need to be very thorough and detailed for everything to go smoothly.

Thanks for the sound advice to both of you.
Ron

Good advice!!

I was moving a new lathe with a skytrax lift with bent forks. I almost flipped a brand new
HAAS on its back. And I've moved a lot of equipment. We decided it would be much cheaper
to wait and call a rigger.

The right equipment is a must!!!

Itt

Can you say what type of machine it is?
If I were stubborn and cheap (and... I am) I would take it apart and move it in pieces. if it is on a stand it is most likely very top heavy and therefore dangerous. have any sons/son in laws that can turn wrenches and be bribed with beer or pizza?

Can you say what type of machine it is?
If I wtubborn and cheap (and... I am) I would take it apart and move it in pieces. if it is on a stand it is most likely very top heavy and therefore dangerous. have any sons/son in laws that can turn wrenches and be bribed with beer or pizza?[/QUOTEt

It's a Rong Fu (Taiwan) mill drill with all the bells & whistles. It comes with a stand but is separate for shipping. Enco says it is shipped with the head tilted to reduce the center of gravity.
I called a guy that I hired to move my 9x20 lathe into the basement. They are movers but not riggers they did a good job with the lathe. They didn't use any special equipment. there were 3 gorillas and they just muscled it in. He said for the mill he would have 4-5 guys and charge would be about $500. I don't want to use any friends or relatives although they chastised me for not calling them for the lathe.
I wouldn't want any of them to get hurt.
Ron

I'm guessing its the rf-40 or 45, it looks like A really nice machine!
I would remove the motor, and as much mass as I could and dolly it up to the garage, then do some wacky plywood on the stairs, dolly, block of wood across the doorway, and a comealong to lower it down. would end up with a few holes in the drywall, and cursing.
If you were in lovely ohio, I'd swing by and help. there might be some members close to you

Well it's in. I received an email from Enco 8 days after order placement that the machine was ready to be shipped. About an hour later I got a call from the trucker to make delivery arrangements. I t arrived the next day in a driving rain on a tractor trailer with a lift gate. Enco asked if I wanted to pay a lift gate fee of $70.00. I declined as there was no lift gate charge from that trucking Co. on the last machine I had delivered . It was a good call because again the lift gate was free.
The driver said he wouldn't be able to roll it down the driveway because it was soft from the rain. I said I would greatly appreciate it if he could roll it into the garage and he agreed to give it a try. So here was this overweight driver in his late 50's (I would guess) pulling the hand truck down the driveway with a slightly over weight guy in his late 70's (me) pushing from behind. After several stops to catch our breath we rolled it into the garage. I slipper him a fifty.
Next I called the mover. They are movers and not riggers. They quoted me $500.00 for 4 guys.I had used this co. before to move my 9x20 lathe into the basement which was done satisfactorily and they have experience moving heavy stuff like pianos and 1000 lb. gun safes. They showed up a couple of hours later, took it off from the pallet and onto a hand truck. They took the flakeboard from the pallet and used it leap frog style to roll it over the lawn to the hatchway of the basement. Then onto a piano board and down the stairs, then back on the hand truck to the base that I had previously assembled. Then up into place with a come-along. Success with no mishaps.
Ron
[/QUOTE]

Ron, it's great to hear that your new baby is in it's new home, in good shape, and most of all, no one hurt. Enjoy!

Back