unusual looking Buffalo 15 drill press.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have worked with a few metalworking drill presses of different shapes and sizes but have never seen a Buffalo 15 like this one:
$_59 (2).JPG$_59 (4).JPG$_59 (3).JPG$_59 (5).JPG
I sent the seller an email requesting more info and the asking price, it sure looks heavy ,I wonder if it can be taken apart, has anyone seen one like it or know anything about it?

That's a dream machine of mine. It does come apart easily four bolts take the column and drill head. The base the table will separate but I'd try moving it in just two pieces. The base will way a couple hundred pounds or three . Two guys can tip it into a truck or trailer or one very strong smarter then average could. A come along some pipes and a few 4x4 wood pieces it'll climb right in. I just lost out on a 20" drill press with power feed for $300. All set to get it and the bills came from drs and hospital so I gave up the press. More info it had two heads at one time on that base.

Last edited:
It looks to me like the Buffalo head and column has been grafted onto another base from a different model machine. Still, it looks quite stout and usable. I would likely be happy with it if I had room for it. Check for rigidity from column to base. You can shim it if it is not square. Also note that this is not a floor model drill press as it sits, it is a bench top model mounted on a base from some other machine. The table goes plenty down far enough by itself, but perhaps not high enough for small drills and thin work without moving the head up or down on the column tube or shimming the work or vise.. It might be just fine, but make sure it can do what you want it to do without a lot of hassle.

Thanks for very helpful replies, I haven't heard from the seller yet but if the price is reasonable I'll buy it , I worked with a benchtop Buffalo 15 for many years but this one looks more like Franken Buffalo(parts from different drill press put together) I'll check it out if I get a chance.
As for the price,I was thinking somewhere between $300 to $500 but I am only basing it on other floor model Buffalo 15s in good condition that go for $200 to $400 Canadian $

Last edited:
I would buy it if I could , original head or not . It's a drill press not a mill , I've seen many of these over the years . If your looking for a plain Jane small table home model let someone who wants a large table buy it. There's lots of tiny presses out there. I'd say it's a floor model with production table option.

I would buy it if I could , original head or not . It's a drill press not a mill , I've seen many of these over the years . If your looking for a plain Jane small table home model let someone who wants a large table buy it. There's lots of tiny presses out there. I'd say it's a floor model with production table option.
I actually am looking for a heavy duty drill press ,I already have a Ridgid floor model DP , it has a huge run out ,tried different chucks but the problem is not with the chuckI remember the previous owner was into making wooden pipes and other small trinkets made out of wood and used it extensively as a drum sander and most likely bent the shaft.
I may pass on this DP if it is way too heavy to transport, I see a lot of good Buffalo 15s on kijiji .
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1320589087&requestSource=b

Thanks for your comment Silver bullet.

Last edited:
I know you mean well silver bullet but why would you "buy it if you could" and yet advise me to go for a smaller "plain jane" drill press and let someone else who wants a large table buy it? do you run a production in your shop that makes this DP more suitable for you? or am I not allowed to grow and search for a more robust DP ?why would you assume a tiny press is more suitable for me?
Just wondering.

Last edited:
My Fosdick was originally a four head (eventually I'll mount the other two), so it has a table about twice the size. It makes for a great heavy duty workbench. Great to be able to drop the table down, load an engine on it, and bring it back to work height.

If you have the room, and desire, go for it. Heck, who cares if you have the room, If you have the desire, the room can be found.

Ken it's more likely the run out is from the factory not from use. My Jet has .010" run out. I tried three chucks and arbors, cheap $19.99 keyless, had the least!. I'm debating weither to order another spindle from Jet, or live with until I find that unicorn.

Back