Unusual measuring tools

If you can find a combination tape with inches and pi I'd love to put it in the PDF file. If you can't find a picture ten I might have to search myself ;)

Gordon

Hello Gordon,

I have a Lufkin branded steel pocket tape #146PD that has the diameter (pi) graduation on one side and inches on the other. While I do not think it is as acurate as the real "pitape" shown at http://www.pitape.com/instruction.htm it is sure handy to carry and use. I keep it at hand for measuring materials. I took a quick look at the Lufkin site but did not see the same tape as I have. If you cannot find a good photo that you like I can take some and send to you.

Benny

I have 2 of those "taper micrometers". The 2 smaller one. The smaller one will measure from a .020" hole on up. I can't recall how large a hole they will measure. I wasn't aware that they made the 3rd larger size.

Someone asked how they work? You hold the micrometer square to the hole,and let the needle go into the hole. There is a scale inside a long window that reads the diameter of the hole. It is dependent upon how far the needle goes into the hole.

These mics are handy for reading holes so small that you can't get other devices to measure them. When the holes get to a certain size,you can use other ways to measure them,such as the expanding ball gages.

I have 2 of those "taper micrometers". The 2 smaller one. The smaller one will measure from a .020" hole on up. I can't recall how large a hole they will measure. I wasn't aware that they made the 3rd larger size.

Someone asked how they work? You hold the micrometer square to the hole,and let the needle go into the hole. There is a scale inside a long window that reads the diameter of the hole. It is dependent upon how far the needle goes into the hole.

These mics are handy for reading holes so small that you can't get other devices to measure them. When the holes get to a certain size,you can use other ways to measure them,such as the expanding ball gages.
I realize that this is an old post but I thought that I would comment on the Kwik Chek Hole Gages. They work as George has said, but because they measure right at the surface of the hole, any deburring or countersinking will give you an erroneous reading. Somewhere in time the manufacturer added pointed fingers to the gages so that they could read into a countersink. New version on the left, older style on the right.

PB132112Large.jpg

Another useful and unusual hole gage are these made by Moore and Wright. A tapered pin wedges the tiny balls apart in the hole. These are not direct reading and need to be miked after removal from the hole. They are also useful in determining an out of round hole.

PB132115Large.jpg

PB132112Large.jpg

PB132115Large.jpg

Back