Up above the border .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The wife turns 60 in 1 hour ! :eek 2: I was handed a brochure for the Rocky Mountaineer Train guide before walking out the door for work tonight . Has anyone ever been on one of these excursions ? Looks to be 5 or so different trips , ranging from $2000 - " gulp " . o_O Beautiful pictures on rockymountaineer.com

I’ve been considering taking a trip on their train also. I gulped and choked. I’ve also looked at the Amtrak California Zephyr as an alternative. From Denver west it looks like a nice trip. It’s not the Mountaineer but it’s not the price either. Day trips are what I’m thinking. Board the train in the morning and ride until the closest stop to sundown and get off. Get a hotel, maybe stay a day then get back on the train for another day. Why sleep on the train and see nothing. Just my thoughts

Happy birthday to her, you never get off work, so she would enjoy the trip.

Happy birthday to her, you never get off work, so she would enjoy the trip.

Ain't that some **** ! :grin: I have to do 11 days/nights straight this week . I'll have 16 hours off tomorrow daytime before coming back in , I'll catch up on what you need . Shoot me a pm .

It is an amazing experience. There is an overnight involved, the travel is only during the day. Also keep in mind that if prices are listed in CAD, there is a considerable difference to USD (in your favour).

The wife turns 60 in 1 hour ! :eek 2: I was handed a brochure for the Rocky Mountaineer Train guide before walking out the door for work tonight . Has anyone ever been on one of these excursions ? Looks to be 5 or so different trips , ranging from $2000 - " gulp " . o_O Beautiful pictures on rockymountaineer.com
A bucket list item for me--take the sleeper train from Vancouver to Banff/Jasper and back. Supposed to be a fantastic excursion. It used to (~20 years ago) very reasonable to take a Via Rail sleeper from coast to coast (~$1k/person). No idea what it runs now of even if you can still do it.

My dad and his wife did it over 15yrs ago. They enjoyed it emensely. They went west to east and then drove back through mostly the northern states. I've always wanted to do some kind of tour of all the great lodges in Cananda after seeing a documentary on them.

My father did the similar one to that back in the 1960's. It was fantastic. He always talked about it.
He worked for Furnas and they were setting up the Canadian distributor. They took like 3 weeks IIRC.
They traveled from Montreal to Vancouver. He always joked that he gained 30lbs on the trip.
On my bucket list - would be nice...

We did an excursion on the Rocky Mountaineer in 2014 to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and really enjoyed it. We did the one called "Journey to the Clouds". The first part was a two-day train trip from Vancouver to Jasper, with overnight (hotel) stop in Kamloops. Breakfast and lunch were served on the train. We chose the "Gold leaf" service level. The Gold leaf coaches have two levels. Seating is on the upper level, with large wrap-around windows. The seats were comfortable and much roomier than airline seats. Dining is on the lower level and the meals are prepared right on the train.

For the second part of the trip, you can choose either a group coach tour, or self-drive with a rent-a-car. We chose the self-drive option. We spent two nights in Jasper, one at Lake Louise, one in Banff, and the last night in Calgary. The Canadian Rockies are really beautiful. If you like mountains, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, forests, and wildlife you won't be disappointed. We lucked out and had great weather for the entire trip.

It's not an inexpensive vacation and for us it was a one-time thing to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

I'd be happy to provide additional details or answer any questions you may have.
John

Back