up grade from std tool post to quick change Mini lathe

I don't own a 9x20 so ignore me if you like but I wanted to add some perspective on tool post material. Aluminum posts are fine for little lathes; here, I'm talking about the Sherline and Taig class of lathe. I own a Sherline lathe and have several aluminum QCTP for it and it works fine. However, above that class I would go for a steel tool post.

A tool post has to be rigid when subjected to cutting loads. We tend to think that a solid chunk of anything will remain solid but this is not so. Each material has a Modulus of Elasticity that describes the tendency of a material to move under load and aluminum has a rating 1/3 that of steel. That means it will tend to move much more easily than steel. This translates into a much less rigid set up so chatter/inaccuracy can result. Bottom line is to go for a steel tool post.

I use AXA tool posts on my 11" lathe. Mine are Aloris and Dorian posts and both are wedge type posts. They work well but from what I have read, so do the Asian versions of these posts. Although most of us feel the wedge type posts are more repeatable under heavy loads, that has not been proven to my knowledge. What seems to separate the Asian versions from the higher end posts like Aloris and Dorian is fit and finish. In the past, Dorian was better than Aloris in this regard but it seems that the quality of Dorian posts has fallen off of late. In any case, a steel Asian post appears to be more than adequate for a smaller hobby lathe and the wedge type is preferred.

From what I have seen here on HM, Phase II posts seem to be a bit better quality among the Asian posts. Shars also has a decent following. Can't say about the other also-rans.

Good luck!

Last edited:
+1 on what mikey said. The tool post I bought for my 6" lathe was aluminum and it seemed to work fine, but honestly
if I were buying again I would look for a steel tool post. Other than cost there's no benefit to aluminum and small lathes need all the help they can get with rigidity. For a 9" machine it would be steel for sure.

My 10" machine has a Phase II and I'm happy with.

If budget is an issue, consider a used tool post and holders from eBay. Good tool posts turn up there, and I've bought toolholders with no problems. They don't really wear out and they're hard to break. :). Having said that, Shars toolholders are so cheap the price is hard to beat. Depends on what you want.

Grizzly, Shars, and Bangood all sell mini QCTP sets. An AXA requires about 15/16" from the top of the compound to the center line of the spindle in order to utilize 1/2" tooling. If you want to use 3/8" or 1/4" tooling, you can subtract 1/8" and 14" respectively from that dimension.
I am not sure about dimensions for the mini, sometimes referred to as OXA. Shars says 5/8"less 1/64" for a 1/2" tool for their OXA set.

I have a Sherline with their QC post. It is all steel and accurate when changing tools. You may have to shim it to your center height.

Back