up grade from std tool post to quick change Mini lathe

dieseldoc

Registered
Registered
Up grade fromm std tool post to quick change on MINI lathe Jet BD-920N.
suggestion for suppliers.

Cheers
DieselDoc

Welcome to the forum Doc.

I'm not familiar with the Jet, but here's a recent thread that should help answer your question. If you do a search you'll find others.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/qctp-ideas-suggestions.64205/

If you don't know what size tool post you need, that's the first thing to figure out. Chances are it's an AXA, but to be sure you need to
measure the distance from the top of your compound to the spindle centerline and compare that figure with the manufacturer's specs.
If for some reason an AXA is too big, there is a smaller style available. (Or, if someone with a Jet chimes in you won't have to go through
that process...)

Basically you tool post choices are either Expensive (Dorian or Aloris) or Chinese (Shars, Phase II etc.). People around here seem
pretty happy with their Chinese tool posts.

Be sure and ask more questions as you think of them.

I am also looking to upgrade to a quick change tool post for my Atlas 6" 10100 lathe. I found one for $139.00 at this sight, but it's not available now.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?view=classic&ProductID=4058
not sure if they have one for your lathe, or if anyone else have bought from this company

I bought a QCTP for my 6" Atlas a few years ago from littlemachineshop. It was a slightly different tool but it worked
fine and their service was good. I think I bought some tooling from them as well with no problem.

I liked it, but they don't have any in stock. I am considering a less expensive one, maybe an aluminum, but want to hear from of the members that are using them

I recently bought a BXA from Aloris for my lathe. A larger size than yours, probably AXA but you'll need to check as suggested above.

For what it is worth I'd sugest getting the better quality post such as Aloris I think the wedge type clamp is better than the piston type Then you can always buy the much cheaper tool holders of the internet they are mostly interchangable. Aloris will supply the post nut machined to your dimensions if you supply them when ordering

Back