update on screws and oiler (or lack or oil....)

wayne_h

Registered
Registered
So of course after taking the table off, I can't possibly not look at the oiler system. As I said before, the oil reservoir had more sludge in it than when I took apart the engine on a 1948 John Deere. In retrospect, the mill is 54 years old and the air in these shops probably had a lot of dust that was attracted by the oil. So I'm happy the pump is actually pumping now, and the lines are cleaned out and flowing. But... the oil metering system is very plugged up... I did some research on it, and it looks like somebody actually took one apart and got it to work again.... So, I chucked up a collet in the lathe and pulled off the end cap. Out comes a spring, small round flat disc and a few other parts that I have no clue what they do. Oh, and this is after soaking them in carb cleaner and boiling them in soapy water. So, at 15 bucks each for new ones, I've decided that's probably one of the best bargains on the interweb. 8 new ones are on the way.

In the mean time, I thought I'd pop the 5/32" tubing back into those holes where I managed to pull them out. Well that's not an easy task either.... Is there some trick to putting the tubes back in? I have new tubing on the way, but these unplugged nicely and flow well.

Thanks for any input.

Wayne

AAA_Oiler.jpg

Where the tubes goes does it have a hex on it. It should be cap like and have alittle ball with a hole in it. A compression fitting. Tube goes through ball and cap when tightened compresses ball into line and fitting to seal. Good choice on replacing metering valves make sure to orientate in proper direction. They should have markings to do so.

The manifold has the metering valves, and they connect with a compression fitting. Easy as pie on that end. On the saddle and screw nut holder there are holes that I yanked the tubes out of. Yanking them back in is not working.... I tried to sharpen the tips a bit. It does look like there may be some sort of an end cap pushed into the hole. I'll try to get a picture today.
thank you

Wayne

Back