Upgrade to multifix

Ha! Sorry bro, $70 for just shipping from China. Even still, it was cheaper than getting the same thing from a dealer here. The holders were roughly $33 each. Well, you got 40 holders? Yeah, it'd be a little steep to start over and I don't blame ya. That's a helluva investment right there, Will.

My Create tool size B set came today. I have to say, it is very nicely done. The packaging was still intact. As soon as I cut the plastic cover and opened the box I could smell solvent and oil. :) Everything was in a plastic bag, inside individual cardboard boxes and packed in peanuts. I couldn't wait to set it on the compound to make sure I ordered the correct size. And I did but, I will say that was the only bit of anxiety I had about the order. Although the ordering process is a little janky.
I will have to make a t-nut for the compound. And a stud.
I'm thinking of drilling for the optional dowel pins. Any comments or advice are welcome.

And Merry Christmas

Oh, so that's a Multi-Fix - *DROOL*
Waiting for review (and picts).

I added a couple of pic's. Unfortunately I can't give you a review yet, as it's just sitting on the compound I need to finish the repairs on the lathe and get the power hooked up. The power probably next weekend.
For scale, The tool in the holder is a 3/4" shank, and the boaring bar holder takes up to 1 1/4" IMG_20191224_185206.jpgIMG_20191224_185008.jpg

Just ordered a set from Pewetools out of Germany. They claim their tools match or beat the Original Multifix on several ways, even though the tools are made in Chjna. I got excellent feedback and service from them and as been shipped as of Friday.
I'm no expert so don't feel qualified to do a full blown review, but will post impressions and pics once I get the set unboxed.

Sent from my SM-T825Y using Tapatalk

Pewe's supposedly good stuff. Don't know if it's better than Create Tool's but looking forward to a review when you get them.

I just sent a PM to Nico, but thought again and decided it would be good to post my question here to broaden the discussion and learning.

I purchased a used Graziano 12S lathe that came with an Aloris BXA tool post and one BXA tool holder. I have a full complement of AXA tool holders for my old lathe (come to find out AXA "kinda" fits on BXA, although my newer Aloris tool holders would need to be massaged to make them slide on smoothly). Pricing BXA tool holders has me seriously considering starting over with a Mutifix QCTP. Size E with 20 mm tools seems to be the best size for the lathe.

I'm trying to decide between PeweTools and Create. I'm looking for comparisons, but so far haven't found any.

Are you still happy with your PeweTools QCTP? Did you consider Create when you purchased, and if so what made you choose PWT?

I have the "E" size multifix on my 11" lathe. I made a new stud (no T slot on my compound). I also had to skim the bottom of all the tool holders to get 3/4" tools down to center height. It was a bit of a trick to get the small chamfer worked out, but with that sorted, the result has been awesome. I'm glad I went with the "E" size as I like using the 3/4" tools. One feature that I like with the 40 position is that I rarely need to loosen or swing the tool post.

I have a CXA on my 15" lathe, it is also good. I find I end up adjusting the position of the tool post on nearly every job. The diamond tool holder needs a different angle to tune and face than regular perpendicular tools. Another example is chamfers right off the tool edge. All that said, I am not going to replace the CXA with a multifix style.

The 40P came from a supplier in China. I don't recall the price. It was not any more expensive.

Back