Upgrading a Light Duty 12" Delta Drill Press to a more Robust 14", 12 Speed, 3/4 HP Machine

bill70j

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought this Delta 5 speed 1/3 HP drill press 25 years ago. It worked OK in the wood shop, but the quill had become loose in the bore, plus the machine was under powered for drilling metal. Delta model 11-990:
Delta Drill Press 11-990-2.jpg

A year ago I bought a vintage floor model Craftsman drill press to replace the worn out Delta. So the question was, what to do with the old Delta?

I searched Craig's List and found this complete, but rusted and seized King drill press. I bought it for the table lift mechanism to adapt to the Craftsman.
2 - CL King Drill Press.JPG

So now I was left with the old Delta and a rusted, seized King without a table lift.

I was able to free the quill on the King, and to my surprise found it to be very tight in the bore, even when fully extended.

I started thinking about grafting the King head onto the Delta column. Then adapting the King table to the Delta lifting mechanism.

First we made two adapter rings to allow the larger bore King head to fit onto the smaller diameter Delta column.
DSC_0066.JPG

Then we made an adapter plate to affix the King table to the Delta lifting mechanism.
DSC_0082.JPG

Then we put all the parts together to check feasibility of this Frankenpress. Everything seemed a go. TIR of a chucked-up end mill was less than 0.002, with virtually zero quill wobble at full extension.
DSC_0074.JPG

Then a final clean-up.

DSC_0093.JPG

And in its final resting place.

DSC_0100.JPG

This leaves me with the Delta quill/spindle assembly. I am thinking of changing out the bearings and making a tool post grinder from it.

Last edited:
This is a little old thread and I apologize for being nosy but if you would sir, could you tell me what the press is behind the KELTA drill press you did such a great job on? From what little is see it looks very interesting. If you can or cant I thank you anyhow for your time.

This is a little old thread and I apologize for being nosy but if you would sir, could you tell me what the press is behind the KELTA drill press you did such a great job on? From what little is see it looks very interesting. If you can or cant I thank you anyhow for your time.

@Choiliefan is correct. It's the first generation of this Grizzly mortising machine. HTH, Bill

Last edited:
Right on up there with the same quality of the Big Yellow Shop Press you built in 2018. Do you still have it?

Regards,
Terry

Thank you gentlemen. I haven't been around woodworking equipment much. But I have been attempting a few projects here as of late for my wife. It seems alot easier to get metal within +/- .001 than it does to get wood within +/- 1/16". Woodworking is definitely harder than it looks in my opinion. Or to get a good looking finished product anyhow. Maybe it's just me. I do enjoy it so far though. Thanks again. This will give me a new machine to read on. I hope you all have a great afternoon.

Back