Upgrading from 440 to 770m

burtonbr

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well I had my 440 for 2 years and learned more than I ever imagined possible about CNC, ( 2 years ago I couldn't spell CNC ) I felt like I was ready and would enjoy having a heavier machine to do more and would like to play with 4th axis a bit so I was able to find a buyer for my 440 and ordered the 770M from Tormach.
It should be here today or tomorrow. it is going to be a bit of a challenge to get it into my small workspace but I'm looking forward to the challenge.
I'll post up some pictures of my progress when there is some.

How's the new 770M doing?
Hi, just noticed your post.
It is great ! It does what I expected, being able to take larger cuts and reduce cycle times with not being so limited on setting up is great. Larger travel is nice and I don’t think a machine is made with “enough” travel, seems I’m always wanting more. It’s a great time we live in I think, being able to have CNC at home for this cost is a dream.

I had a long phone call with Matt at Tormach today, really close to pulling the trigger on the 440. You're moving up, I'm moving in...
I'm sure there were some improvements from your 440 to the newest version. It sounds like you were a happy Tormach camper regardless? Any heads up for someone that is now where you were 2 years ago? Congrats on the770!

GunsOfNavarone, Sorry I should check in here more often, for some reason I don't get notifications either.
I am a big supporter of Tormach, one of the best companies I have ever delt with so IMHO you can't go wrong with a Tormach, if it is the tool you need as they do have limitations compared to other more expensive CNC mills but in this class of machine there is no other choice. The support has always been great, always helpful .

The 440 is a good machine it does have limitations but for the size is very capable, if you feel it fits your needs there is nothing available to compare it to at anywhere near the price, it can do everything the 770 & 1100 can do just a bit slower and in a smaller area but I cut everything from soft metal to titanium without problems. I would have to recommend if you think you may need a larger work area and budget can handle it the 770m or 1100m is a wise choice to start in my opinion, I couldn't spell CNC before I bought my Tormach but it was not long before I wanted more work area, more HP and still do even though I really don't do production. Only drawback to a 440 I can speak of is for a time there were a bad batch of the MX3660 controllers and many went bad, but Tormach replaced mine under warranty even after I was 6 months past the warranty term, that and if you push it too hard it will loose steps but that is easily remedied .
Only other advice I would give is get an enclosure if you can, I did not on the 440 and it was a mess I do on my 700M+ now and it is so nice to control where all the chips go .
Please feel free if you have any more questions ask away msg me if you like.

Back