Upgrading My PM 1236-T Lathe

Nothing is ever straightforward. I needed to do a much needed garage cleanup in order to find space for the degrease/strip/paint. Finally got that taken care of and I’m ready to move forward.

Take is ALL apart Willie. Show us every locknut and grub screw. This might help:

Attachments

• Lathe Fastener Schedue.pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 369
Slow going (as usual) but I have gotten the lathe mostly cleaned up and ready for paint stripping and paint. The threading lead screw was easy to get out, but I haven't quite figured out how to get the power feed and on/off shafts out of the apron yet.

After entering all the screws into mcmaster and seeing the cost, I think I might be drawing the line at the stainless steel hardware upgrade! Wowza.

Did you save the sand in the castings? :)

Well this feels like such a major milestone! The bed and headstock have been completely stripped, bondo’ed, and repainted. I’ve now moved on to stripping all the bolt on components. I also drained the oil and cleaned out the extra sand & metal shavings, David! :p

Speaking of David- can’t thank him enough for answering all my questions I’ve sent his way. So helpful!

This EZStrip did not work *at all* so I switched to Citristrip. I had read that Citristrip had been reformulated and didn’t work as well, but it seemed to work great to me!

I had been curious how heavy the bed and headstock alone weighed, so I bought a crane scale. The full lathe is billed at something like 890lbs, so I was surprised that even with everything taken off this assembly only came in at 330lbs

Finally got everything stripped, smoothed with fresh bondo, and ready for paint

I also drained the oil and cleaned sand and some metal grit from the head

Finally- a coat of Steel-It #2203 alkyd primer

...followed by Steel-It #1002 polyurethane base coat

Now that the main part of the lathe is painted, I moved on to the rest of the bolt on components. I liked David’s idea of milling out the head cover in order to fit an 1/4” rubber mat recessed down in there. I brought the casting to the mill and started with a 3/8” ball end mill to create an oil groove about .285” deep. The full perimeter was just out of capacity for my mill table travel so I had to rotate the part. That ended up being not such a big deal.

I would note that the ball end mill is a quality carbide end mill and cut the cast like butter. Then I grabbed my 3/4” four flute HSS end mil from harbor freight and started milling the main recess. This end mill did NOT cut like butter, but it did eventually get the job done.

For the final tool path I did have the capacity to do one continuous cut, but the problem was that the mill table ran into the wall of the room for one corner of the cut. I *should* have stopped and extended the ram but this is yet another one of those “chalk it up to inexperience” lessons. So one corner of the tool path isn’t pretty, but oh well.

Because the four fluter didn’t leave a fantastic surface finish, I hit it with an 80 grit sanding disc on the random orbit sander. Overall, it turned out fine in the end.

DF62E347-4441-4FB0-A255-7184AD27FB1D.jpeg

And that’s where I’m at now. Moving on to more paint stripping and grey painting...

Last edited:
That Steel it stuff is expensive. My brother paints his race cars with it. Takes a long time to dry also. One big advantage is you can weld through it or at least near it.
Robert

Back