Upgrading My South Bend 9" Lathe to large Dials

The large dial conversion is completed for the compound. This is the assembly ready to put in the compound.
20170627_121908_HDR_resized.jpg
20170627_121935_HDR_resized.jpg

installed
20170627_175215_HDR_resized.jpg
20170627_175234_HDR_resized.jpg
I can see this dial accurately, much better.

20170627_175841_HDR_resized.jpg
this is a comparison between the old dial and the new one. I'l put the old assembly in my tool box drawer. ( I just think I should save it for some reason).

These are the prints I made my dial from.
Compound Dial and Dial Body.jpg Compound Lead Screw.jpg

Next is to do the cross slide................

Have you ever thought of making some kind of press fixture to do the stamping operation?
Mark S.

Im not exactly sure what you mean, but I will be doing a detailed article on how I engrave and stamp dials. I did one once before ( but I don't know where it is).

I'm assuming you hold the stamps in one hand and tap them with a hammer?-I was thinking of some type of fixture that would hold the stamps over the workpiece (your dials in this case) which you then insert into a press and give a squeeze. Or hammer tap. Rinse and repeat for each digit. Advantage being you could locate the numbers spot on. In theory.
Mark S.

Very nice. My numbers were horrible by comparison. Really nice job. I'll send you mine ;)

I'm assuming you hold the stamps in one hand and tap them with a hammer?-I was thinking of some type of fixture that would hold the stamps over the workpiece (your dials in this case) which you then insert into a press and give a squeeze. Or hammer tap. Rinse and repeat for each digit. Advantage being you could locate the numbers spot on. In theory.
Mark S.

I use a fixture I made to hold the stamp and I bang them with a hammer. Watch for my post on this. It will be in moderator projects where this thread is.

Back