Upper Midwest Scrapers And Rebuilders Hobby Club

Hi Daryl,

I am a little late getting to this discussion but I have a question. What is the purpose of the 55 and 35 degree angles on the straight edge? Is it to be able to isolate working on just one surface of a dovetail at a time? Just curious.
Dick

Yes, one surface at a time for flat. Use dowels and a mic on each side of the tail and a master square, king-way (or similar) to assess other geometry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scraping/Rebuilding Class
Attentive Machinist Bedside Reader fans may recall Guy Lautards reference to Dennis Danich. Dennis is a Millright and Certified Millright Instructor. He is seeking 10 students to learn scraping and machine tool rebuilding. This is not just a scraping class. In addition to the technical aspects of “how”, Dennis’ teaches and emphasizes “why”. Understanding “why” facilitates future problem solving when you face the challenges you will inevitably encounter when taking corrective action during a machine rebuild. This first class will be hosted in my secluded home shop in Tamarack Minnesota 2.5 hours north of Minneapolis/St Paul.

Dennis is offering the class in two consecutive sessions. The second session builds on the first.
Session #1 (3 days): 8am-5pm, Friday June 25th – Sunday June 27th
Session #2 (2 days): 8am-5pm, Monday June 28th – Tuesday June 29th

Registration & Questions: For course registration and associated questions, or merely general questions about scraping/rebuilding contact Dennis Danich at dennismdanich@gmail.com

Required Scraping/Rebuilding Equipment: Sandvick scraping tool and 25mm carbide cutter. Bring a small scraping project if you have one, or we will have some practice iron available.

Food, Accommodation and Other Questions: Contact Daryl Doering UglydogLLC@gmail.com

Scraping class Curriculum
Session #1:
Day 1
: Introduction to the concept of scraping and sharpening scraper blades. Beginning scraping techniques and the many different scraping methods with emphasis on finding a technique which meets the needs of your body type and any physical limitations you might have.
Day 2: Bluing and marking up the work, reading the high spots, and more scraping practice.
Day 3: Introduction to machine tool rebuilding and corrective action by step scraping tapers, checking parts with straight edges and identification of appropriate corrective actions. More scraping practice.
Session #2:
Day 4:
Quantitative vs Qualitative assessment of a machine and machine tool geometry. Introduction to machine tool geometry. How to take corrective action to restore geometry, and using scraping shortcuts (surface grinder/milling machine). Explanations of processes in the Machine Tool reconditioning book.
Day 5: Answering questions about the previous 4 days work, more practice and improving technique. More practice about changing surfaces and measuring those surfaces. How to effectively use an alignment gauge and how to make one for yourself.

Already have four paid students for the June date.
We have room for a few more.
Contact me or Dennis at the emails above, or message me should you have questions.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
The class went better than anyone had dare hope. Long days… 8am-5pm in the shop learning to scrape. A pause for dinner and personal stuff, followed by all evening discussions about rebuilding and machining. This adventure is facilitated by our ability to host everyone here so we avoid the distraction of daily travel and the expense of accommodations. The class started last Thursday finished yesterday afternoon (Tuesday).

Dennis Danich is planning two more classes this summer/fall. One will be on optical alignment the other machine tool geometry & rebuilding. Because scraping basics will not be included in the geometry/rebuild class the expectation is that you've taken an intro scraping class from someone.

The optical alignment class goes way beyond leveling your lathe or mill. Imagine two lathes of same or dissimilar sizes and placing them end to end in perfect all alignment. This would allow you to use the steady on one lathe and the chuck on the other machine to drive a shaft extending the length of both. Same for two or more mills. This allows work on very heavy or long work.

Dennis is a retired Millrite Instructor, doesn't make any profit on your potential purchase of scraping equipment and actually creates lesson plans which he is willing to adjust to meet Learner interests and aptitude. No dates set yet. If you have interest maybe you'd want to chat with him to clarify class content and have input on dates. You can contact Dennis at: dennismdanich@gmail.com.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Ask Dennis if he wants some help, Duane Dickie mentioned he thought he may need some after he took the class last year. . It's nice seeing you two teaching scraping that I taught you. I was happy when I introduced you to him. Ben too. Rich

I had no classes last year, rather thefe was an ongoing rebuild of a Bridgeport round arm mill, most guys worked on scraping a small triangle straight edge.

Ask Dennis if he wants some help, Duane Dickie mentioned he thought he may need some after he took the class last year. . It's nice seeing you two teaching scraping that I taught you. I was happy when I introduced you to him. Ben too. Rich
Missures Dicky and Quaday both are closer to you Rich so I would suggest they contact you instead.

The class went better than anyone had dare hope. Long days… 8am-5pm in the shop learning to scrape. A pause for dinner and personal stuff, followed by all evening discussions about rebuilding and machining. This adventure is facilitated by our ability to host everyone here so we avoid the distraction of daily travel and the expense of accommodations. The class started last Thursday finished yesterday afternoon.

Dennis Danich is planning two more classes this summer/fall. One will be on optical alignment the other machine tool geometry & rebuilding. Because scraping basics will not be included in the geometry/rebuild class the expectation is that you've taken an intro scraping class from someone.

The optical alignment class goes way beyond leveling your lathe or mill. Imagine two lathes of same or dissimilar sizes and placing them end to end in perfect all alignment. This would allow you to use the steady on one lathe and the chuck on one machine to drive a shaft extending the length of both. Same for two or more mills. This allows work on very heavy or long work.

Dennis is a retired Millrite Instructor, doesn't make any profit on your potential purchase of scraping equipment and actually creates lesson plans which he is willing to adjust to meet Learner interests and aptitude. No dates set yet. If you have interest maybe you'd want to chat with him to clarify class content and have input on dates. You can contact Dennis at: dennismdanich@gmail.com.

Daryl
MN
Daryl has a great shop and machines coupled with a warm friendly personality,
I have enjoyed being his friend since I met him years ago.

Daryl has a great shop and machines coupled with a warm friendly personality,
I have enjoyed being his friend since I met him years ago.
You met him at the South St Paul Class I invited you too. I gave him a lot of info on machining, scraping too before the class and told him to join this forum.. Good Luck...

Attachments

• thumbnail_image.png
    thumbnail_image.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back