[4]

Upper Mississippi Hobby Machinists group, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Richard King

Registered
Registered
To All who live in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota interested in joining a group of 4 so far, to form The Upper Mississippi Hobby Machinists Group, please let us know. Dave Smith, Terry Werm, UglyDog and myself want to have a small off shoot of HB, have a yearly get together and to meet and possibly have a "Swap Meet" ? Also if your having a problem and you can ask a local member to stop by and help, etc.
We are open to all idea's here. Dave and Terry started the group and Ugly and I met a few days ago and talked about it too.
It snowed here in Cottage Grove last night..ugggg we got 6"....uggggg..... Will winter ever end? Rich
:nuts:

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
To All who live in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota interested in joining a group of 4 so far, to form The Upper Mississippi Hobby Machinists Group, please let us know. Dave Smith, Terry Werm, UglyDog and myself want to have a small off shoot of HB, have a yearly get together and to meet and possibly have a "Swap Meet" ? Also if your having a problem and you can ask a local member to stop by and help, etc.
We are open to all idea's here. Dave and Terry started the group and Ugly and I met a few days ago and talked about it too.
It snowed here in Cottage Grove last night..ugggg we got 6"....uggggg..... Will winter ever end? Rich
Southeast WI. here. I'm game.

arvidj

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Please count this Prior Lake resident in.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
You convinced me. I will join the group.

For you others Join Here

Jimbo

Active User
I'm in. Now what?

Dave Smith

Active User
from Dave in Rochester Mn----how about you guys from Mason City and others from upper Iowa? your replies to posts seem like you would be nice to have in group

twstoerzinger

Active User
Registered
The other Minnesota Terry here - count me in.
Terry S
Inver Grove Heights
(last night's snow has pretty much melted here)

iron man

Active User
Registered
Hello from Mason City IA I am in as well. Ray

That is when all this recent snow melts... What month is it?????

Richard King

Registered
Registered
Dave I see you and Terry have a group site set up already, so what should we do next? Sign in there...how do we get to it?
Snowing again here is Cottage Grove again...lol... Rich

daveyscrap

Active User
Registered
I will join if I can figure out how. Thanks. Dave

RandyM

Staff member
Dave I see you and Terry have a group site set up already, so what should we do next? Sign in there...how do we get to it?
Snowing again here is Cottage Grove again...lol... Rich
See my earlier post with the link will get you to the group.

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Another way to get there, so that you don't always have to come back to Randy's link is as follows:

1. Near the top of your screen click on the 'Members Area' button.
2. Add yourself to the map if you have not already done so.
3. Directly under the 'Members Area' button, you will see an item called 'Groups'. Click on it
4. In the list of groups, locate Upper Mississippi Hobby Machinists and click on the 'Join' button.

I have not experimented with this much yet, but I suspect that when a new item is posted in the group you will also get an email notification of that post. A little time will tell, and the rest of you guys can feel free to experiment too!

gdsenn

Swarf
Registered
I live in Cottage Grove too, and would like to join.

wlburton

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I've joined at the group site mentioned above. I don't have much to offer at this point but I'd sure like to see what some of you guys are up to! I also don't know my way around on internet sites very well so I hope I did this the right way.

Bill Burton

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
You did just fine, Bill. Also, you have more to offer than you might realize, even if you don't have experience. IDEAS are a wonderful thing!

daveyscrap

Active User
Registered
I keep trying to post but it won't let me not sure why I posted a introduction a few months ago. Not sure what is going on. I am on tapatalk and can't even find this topic
Need lots of help thanks Dave

daveyscrap

Active User
Registered
Of course now it works !!!!!! Must be operator

newbydave

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
You can count me in.

rick9345

Active User
Hi !This Rick s Mpls,Mnwould like to be included

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Rick and Dave, I sent invitations to you for joining the group. I suspect that the invitation will have a link in it to get you to where you can join. (I don't know what the invitations look like as since I am already a member I cannot send one to myself).

Another way to join is to follow the instructions listed in post #12 of this thread, which I have included here for your convenience.

1. Near the top of your screen click on the 'Members Area' button.
2. Add yourself to the map if you have not already done so.
3. Directly under the 'Members Area' button, you will see an item called 'Groups'. Click on it
4. In the list of groups, locate Upper Mississippi Hobby Machinists and click on the 'Join' button.
Once you are a member, you are automatically subscribed to any new items that get posted there. If you have your subscription settings configured to send you emails when new posts come in, you will also receive an email when something gets posted to the group.

Since the group deals with local items, don't expect it to see large amounts of activity like on the forum. The group should contain posts on items that pertain to H-M members in our area only. Things like meet and greets, coffee breaks, shop tours, maybe a summer BBQ and picnic.

A couple people asked "what next?" Simple. Feel like organizing a meet and greet over coffee?? Set it up and announce it in a post. Feel like offering a get together including a tour of your shop?? Set a date and time, and announce it. Find a sweet deal in our area on Craig's List, eBay, or ad in the paper? Don't intend to buy it but want to spread the word? Post it to the group. I think you guys get the idea.

Oh, and don't be afraid to chime in if you have ideas, questions, whatever! What you have to say does matter, regardless of how much experience you have, or how silly it may sound. There are no stupid questions, and no idiotic ideas. Remember the 'pet rock'? Sounds silly but the guy made millions on the idea.

gdsenn

Swarf
Registered
Where do you get your metal stock to turn in the twin cites?
GDSENN

Richard King

Registered
Registered
What size and type are you looking for? I am working at a shop that toss's the short cut offs. I told a guy a few weeks ago to call some local machine shops I believe there is one down on 101st street...on the street going to the waste plant just east of the excavator place...forget their name. I have driven by it, but never stopped. Maybe stop by and see. There is also a machine shop down south of Hastings on 47 on the way to Hampton, maybe give them call might be able to buy some scrap from them too.

Otherwise on 2nd Street in North Mpls there are several scrap and metal dealers.
Rich

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Lately I've been getting most of my stock the seemingly expensive (easy) way but used to get it in what appeared to be the cheap (hard) way. Let me explain:

I used to go to the steel yards up in north Minneapolis and see what I could scrounge up. Brass and aluminum were pretty safe, but any of the unmarked steels or stainless steels of unknown alloy turned out to be a big headache. Too many times I would end up with something that was almost totally unusable because it was too difficult to machine for one reason or another. As a result I wasted my time, fuel, and money to go down there and bring home stuff I could not use. I live southwest of the cities a fair distance, and making a special trip up there to go metal shopping usually took up at least half a day. Long story short, any usable material that I got ended up being more expensive (with all things considered) than if I had simply ordered what I wanted online from one of the online metal sales outfits or even from McMaster-Carr. Total cash outlay was about the same after shipping and paying the higher prices, but I ended up with the material I needed and nothing else that was unusable. Add to that the fact that I didn't have to waste half a day hunting for the stuff, instead it magically showed up on my door step! :ups:

I do have a friend with a small machine and repair shop down between Belle Plaine and Le Sueur. Occasionally I will buy a few odds and ends from him, but sometimes that is even a shot in the dark.

So my theory is this: I would rather spend a little more for what I get and have the right stuff rather than waste even a little money on stuff I cannot use.

rick9345

Active User
Terry
came to same conclusion years ago
order what one wants as to material and size,gets one what you need

I use Metal Supermarkets, cut to size ,no charge

Kevinb71

Active User
I believe I have joined the group. In one area it said South Dakota as well so I am interested. There aren't many metal workers in this area. It would be intersting to meet with others of "metalhead" interest.

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Yup, you're a member in there, Kevin. Welcome aboard!! I also looked at the member map and I see what you mean about very few members in your area, so it pretty much makes sense to get on board here.

bubbas55

Swarf
Registered
i have tried to find a group closer to home but looks like the only group in indiana is in ft wayne, bout 200 miles north of me.

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Bubba, you can create your own group. After a quick look at the map, I see that there are a few other members in your general area. You can create a group for people in your area, then invite them. It is not hard to do, and the ability to create a new group is open to all members of H-M.

When I first created this group, there were not very many people up in my immediate area, so I expanded the borders so-to-speak and included a larger area. When we do have some sort of get together this summer, a few people might have to travel a bit farther, or they may choose not to come at all. I can see where a time may come where we may need to break the group up into two or three smaller groups from smaller geographical areas, but that will be quite a ways down the road. On the other hand, groups that are too small never really get going, so maybe starting out with a large area to get people going isn't such a bad idea after all.

cvz6977

Active User
Registered
Hey Bubba, I'm in the NW Chicago land area so I'm probably not too far from you. If you got a group started, I would be interested. I like the idea of getting some "localized" people together for a meet from time to time to share ideas, stories and issues. I think it would be a great asset that would further enhance this already great site.

[6]
[5] [7]