Upping my game in workholding?

I can’t find any pix of my step blocks on my bandsaw, but several of the clamp arms I got in a yard sale. But there are some crucial things to be able to use them one being a sled. When I made mine I incorporated a backstop with threaded hold downs so I could put all thread in them. You have to look close under the clamp arms to see I used t-nuts to make the clamps work.I also used step blocks in my horizontal saw to balance the vise on small stuff before I installed a piece of all thread.
Got it -- I was thinking that some creativity would be needed to get that capability on my bandsaw & your comment confirms it. Thanks again for the idea!

Setup/clamping is a very creative part of machining. I didn’t understand that going in. But after seeing some other setups the light came on. It is crazy how many different clamping devises are out there and how many it takes. I am really bad about taking pix of some of my more “creative” setups. I forgot about this one:

Attachments

• 409CF6CD-86E6-43C1-A998-187CA6958E2A.jpeg
    409CF6CD-86E6-43C1-A998-187CA6958E2A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
Another neat way is to nest two the the triangle pieces together so their teeth interlock, and put the tail of the clamp on top.
Well I never even thought of using it in this manner. Thanks Brino. This site always teach you something even if you were not looking.
:clapping:

But there are some crucial things to be able to use them one being a sled. When I made mine I incorporated a backstop with threaded hold downs so I could put all thread in them. You have to look close under the clamp arms to see I used t-nuts to make the clamps work.I also used step blocks in my horizontal saw to balance the vise on small stuff before I installed a piece of all thread.

Nice! Thought the sled was a sacrificial plate at first. I should look into doing something like that - one more thing for the never-shrinking shop TODO list.

Nice! Thought the sled was a sacrificial plate at first. I should look into doing something like that - one more thing for the never-shrinking shop TODO list.
LOL, ain’t that the truth. Just about every time I look into some thread around here the list gets further behind. I got the idea from another member here. His sled was different as it was powered by weight and pulley system. I went with air power. I put a 3/4” air ram under the table attached to the end of the key stock that is the guide. With a regulator I can set any feed and just let it go. Causes less wear and tear because I get impatient with big chunks and push too hard :( I need to further mod it by making into like you pointed out, a sacrificial plate with a pattern of threaded 1/2” holes.

Attachments

• F38594A8-5787-4375-B913-BD259E6E4655.jpeg
    F38594A8-5787-4375-B913-BD259E6E4655.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • 82342509-F5E4-4A8A-BB3E-9EA78D4D7576.jpeg
    82342509-F5E4-4A8A-BB3E-9EA78D4D7576.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
On my 7 x 12 horizontal band saw i made a small sled with a grid of tapped 3/8 NC holes that fit my milling machine clamp studs, and just clamp the sled it the vise with my too small work held by toe clamps on the sled

I have a 2 piece vise. Clamp the solid jaw thru the tee slots. The adjustable jaw and screw is fixed to the tee slots at opposite end of the work.
The adjustable jaw only has about 1/2 inch of travel. But its enough to secure the work. I can hold work the full length of my mill table, less the thickness of the jaws about 8 inches53-large_default.jpg53-large_default.jpg

Back