USB Microscopes and Borescopes

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Many of you may already have a USB microscope or borescope like this one:

s-l1600.jpg

I bought one that works with a PC. I was very pleased to find out that I can use it with my phone with just an app download!
I can verify that it works with the newest version of Android. I cannot speak for other versions or iOS. The app I used is called "endoscope camera" on Google Play. Once you download it you must go into settings and give it permission to access storage. Also you will need the proper USB adaptor to plug the camera into your phone. It is so much easier to use with a phone that I will use this much more often.
Let us know if you try it.

Robert

I have one. But it doesn't work on my phone. You phone has to support USB-OTG. Doesn't matter os version.

Reactions: rwm
I purchased one on ePay about a year ago. The software that was available for download (and also what was on the CD that came with it) would not pass Norton Virus scan. I complained and returned it for a refund. I never tried it on my phone.

Caveat Emptor!

have one. Only use it on my phone. Works fine.

A while back I bought an inexpensive USB microscope and a cheap tablet that claimed it supported OTG. As near as I can figure the tablet connects but cant handle the data flow. I get a couple of jittery images then it freezes. Will have to play with it more, would be great for inspecting thread forms and cutting edges.

Greg

Greg- Try different software. I had the same issue with the first app I tried. I think K is correct about USB-OTG.
BTW, these things are dirt cheap now.
R

There is a free app in google play to check if your phone or tablet supports OTG. Called USP-OGT checker.

I tried every piece of software I could find R. Will dig it out again and give it another go. My son has a higher end android tablet, it would work on it but he won't let me have it for the shop. Upity youngens.

Greg

Many of you may already have a USB microscope or borescope like this one:

I got one some months ago, and it works out-of-the-box with MacOS laptop, but my phone doesn't do USB OTG
(stands for on-the-go, refers to ability of the phone to do a USB master as well as function as a slave).

It takes significant power to run the lights, wouldn't work long on my phone even if it WAS supported.
But apparently MacOS has suitable drivers builtin, no need to download 'em.

For shop cameras, I'm liking the surveillance/NTSC type, with a composite video (BNC connector) output, and have found
a couple of tablet-sized (7") monitors, apparently intended for automotive use, that can display it.

Back