Use of a 50 degree faced tool?

twooldvolvos

Registered
Registered
My village has a not-for-profit tool store where all inventory is donated and the proceeds go to support our senior citizens. Since I have started learning to use a lathe, I have enjoyed looking at the machining tools that come into the store with some regularity. A few weeks ago I picked up this HSS tool for a buck: I know that thread cutting tools typically have a 60 degree face but what would be the use of this 50 degree face?

Attachments

• tool50Degrees.JPG
    tool50Degrees.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 34
General turning as the angle isn't important and you could grind it to a threading tool very easily if wanted . I have to turn mandrals with plastic extruded between steel shoulders . I use such a tool but still , the angle is not important . Just more of a clearance thing .

How did you measure the angle?

As is it could be used to cut 60 deg threads using the compound feeding at 30 deg.

How did you measure the angle?

As is it could be used to cut 60 deg threads using the compound feeding at 30 deg.
I used a machinist's protractor. It makes sense that it is a little less than 60 because it was sloppy in a 60 deg gauge. BTW, I tried turning with it and it was next to impossible to get a smooth finish with a point that sharp.

Stone a radius on the tip . ;) In my case , I'm only turning clearance on a mandral .010 below metal surfaces . Finish is not an issue as the plastic is just a support , and a sharp tip reduces chatter on the piece . The " work " is performed on the metal journals where the chuck jaws are located . A part is fitted over this mandral and cnc slitting saws cut the log into various sizes as needed by the customer . Neat idea they came up with also .

Back