used, abused, blued, screwed and tattooed Bridgeport vise .

oldboy1950

Registered
Registered
found this on the local Craigs list....good grief !!
asking $20 and claims its better than no vise, i guess.

00n0n_4rfhPru1Bef_1200x900.jpg

its better than no vise, i guess.

It's better than having no anchor for your boat too!
Absolutely brutal, reckless treatment of a vise.

Now, I'm usually the guy that says almost anything is worth saving/repairing/restoring..........but that?
I don't think so, $20 saved.

-brino

Well, she's definitely a challenge. Most anything can be salvaged to useable condition with enough time, money and effort.

Another member on this forum just recently did some re-furb to a vise that looked pretty much like that one. He says it works fine. Personally, I would get angry every time I looked at it. Anyone who does that to a nice machine vise should be shot !

Ted

Shooting is a bit extreme- being forced to eat bug-getta would be more than fitting

Last edited:
Abuse the abuser the same way full of holes. Or a thousand dollar fine. His choice. Half of the side is either cut off or broken no mounting slot at all.

That vise design is old history. I will only use a vise like Kurt that has the clamp down moveable jaw. That said, the vise shown is just a boat anchor at best. Dig a hole in the back yard and bury it. Even if I was given 20 bucks to take it, I would not…Dave.

In good condition a Bridgeport mill vise is second rate compared to a Kurt. In that condition it is most useful as feed stock for casting something new.

Back