Used Finger Brake Questions

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am in search of a good quality smallish finger (box and pan) brake. I am looking primarily at Pexto and Di-acro 24 and 36" brakes. I notice that some seem to be missing fingers or the fingers have a gap. On at least one of these the finger is hanging abnormally. Is there a way that the castings commonly break so the finger cannot be attached? What are other common issues to look out for? If you have any other recommendations or advice I would love to hear it. What price range should I be paying?

Check out this pic:
b8b05937-5f24-4574-d406-937d9c7e2f43.jpg

If you look carefully, there is a lip under the top casting that is discontinuous. It doesn't seem to extend all the way to the left. Is it broken off?

I had no idea where to put this question so I hope this is OK.

Robert

Edit: oh yeah..if you have one for sale let me know!

Last edited:
Hey Robert,
When I found a 6' D&K FB with all the fingers, I thought WOW! as these are seldom complete for a fair price. The problems became evident soon after failing to adjust to tolerance. I quickly discovered all but one finger extension was bent (upward) due to abuse. Many other things where damaged as well, but the main body and clamp seemed fine. The money spent at auction ($1500) I was still ahead of the game after building new parts. That said, when your considering purchasing a break, make sure your can build whatever parts you think are bad. These replacement parts are very expensive if you where to buy them. Example, the nose bars for the new extensions I built run $21/inch.
I'm sorry I can't really answer your specific lip question but if its broken you should be able to see it. The other thing that can render these useless is a sprung leaf or top clamp. You should be able to rule that out by taking measurements. The lower leaf should also feel smooth throughout the travel. Any binding could be a "sprung" condition. These smaller brakes are plentiful so be patient.
As for my FB, I have under $3K into it and is better than new condition. To buy a new D&K is over $8-9K.

Paco

The top casting that holds the fingers on the left side of your picture has a 3-4” gap. Is that what your saying is broke? Could be does the other side go all the way? Not knowing for sure I would think it should go the whole width. Helps lock the fingers from rolling under force??
I see these for sale often. There’s a 36” for 350 on cl no fingers just a straight bar fold. I picked this one up for 50 bucks and went through it painted and works great. 3B1EC21B-FA9F-4802-AB9F-DD0921A71CAE.jpeg

After comparing to other images I think that lip is fractured off.
R

I am still looking for a brake. I notice that Baileigh has 24 and 36" pan brakes that have a 16 g capacity for less than $1000. Is this a better alternative? Are they really up to the rated capacity? Why is anyone paying twice as much for a used Pexto?
Robert

I bought a DiAcro 24" brake off CL years ago. It was missing a 1 1/4" finger which I found on eBay for around $30 delivered. Glad it was just missing the one because a full set of used ones would have gone for over $500.

I paid $400 for my DiAcro. It was missing the front table which is a piece of 1/4" thick angle iron. The two lifting handles were missing also. The angle was easy, cur a piece of 2" x 2" x 1/4" thick to length and milled slots for the bolts/attachments to the bending table. I used 3/4" black pipe for the handles, turned a CRS plug to fit in the ends where it's bolted to the lifting table.

I guess what I'd look for is abuse from trying to bend too thick of material. I wasn't looking for a restoration project, so made sure nothing was cracked, welded/brazed, too beat up. Some of my fingers have a very slight up-curve on the ends, but it doesn't affect my bends.

There's a CL listing for a "decent" 24" DiAcro below for $700 though Wisconsin would be a drive for you. The seller says it weighs 200 lbs., but it's closer to 400. It has a fair amount of rust but would clean up OK. There's also a listing for a very nice one in OH for $1400 OBO. Lastly, a 36" Pexto in pretty decent shape more in your area. Has 29" of the fingers and is on a shop made roller stand. They're asking $1100. Last I checked a new 24" DiAcro ran around $4000.

Bruce

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/tls/d/diacro-24-finger-brake-rated/6668335106.html
https://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/d/finger-brake-box-pan-diacro/6666146260.html
https://wilmington.craigslist.org/tls/d/pexto-px36-36-finger-pan/6638058539.html

Wow thanks Bruce! The one near me looks like it has been sitting out in the rain. Too bad. I may look at it when I am down that way to see if the rust is superficial or more significant.
Robert

Our area seems to be dry for brakes and shears. I have been looking also.

I can't believe the price of those brakes. I bought my diacro 24" brake 15 years ago at a school auction for $30. I guess it's time to put it up for sale. $$$$

I can't believe the price of those brakes. I bought my diacro 24" brake 15 years ago at a school auction for $30. I guess it's time to put it up for sale. $$$$
If you are serious about that, let me know!

Can someone who is familiar with Di-acro brakes comment on this:

1540767903919.png
As you can see in the pic, this machine has white tabs that extend out on each side. Other Di-acro brakes do not have this. Is this a model variation or were these welded on? What is their function?

Thanks
Robert

Back