Used indicators and other measuring tools, what to look for?

Alina was made by Compact/Tesa. You got lucky!

If it hasn’t been said I’ll say it. Beware of counterfeit indicators. That deal you see on a Mitutoya probably isn’t a deal after all. I have a beautifully marked Mitutoyo TI that only cost me about $40 that even came with a magnetic holder. Thank goodness it did because the damned thing is Chinese counterfeit garbage but at least the magnetic holder works. I have Starrett’s now. Like the other fella said, buy once cry once. Get the best you can afford and remember buyer beware.

I think your questions deserve serious answers because a lot of hobby guys have the same concerns. While I am not an expert at this stuff I have been buying tools on ebay almost since its inception so I'll offer some opinions.

If I could give a new hobby guy some sound advice it would be to buy a known good instrument new; buy it once and cry once. If you need a source to determine which is the best for your needs, go to the Long Island Indicator Service site and do some homework. Then search for an authorized seller with the best price; the purchase will provide the documentation required for warranty coverage. Good tools can last a lifetime, will typically be accurate over that time and can be repaired and recalibrated if needed. I can tell you for sure that there is a difference in the feel, smoothness of action and accuracy between a good Swiss indicator and the rest, including Mitutoyo.

Okay, what to look for on ebay:
  • Know what you want and only buy that one thing. If it isn't there now, it will be soon so wait for it.
  • An indicator that is in really good condition will look that way. If it is dirty and the dovetails that the holder fits on are scuffed up and damaged then pass on it, even if the price is good. A filthy indicator has been used a lot and if it is filthy then it was used by someone who doesn't care about it. On the other hand, an indicator that is clean even in the smallest spaces and has pristine dovetails and a clear crystal is probably a good candidate. Contact the seller and ask if there are any issues with the indicator. If there are no issues then ask what his bottom line price would be; it will usually be lower than the listed price and you can make a deal, sometimes a very good deal.
  • Try hard to buy indicators that come in a case with all the accessories that usually accompany a new indicator. If the user sells it like this then he probably took good care of it during its working life. The guys who care about their tools will take the indicator from the box and use it, then put it back in the box when they're done. The box may show some wear but the tool should not. That is the kind of buyer you're looking for.
  • Look hard for signs the tool was dropped. Good indicators are built to be used so the internals are pretty tough. However, they are not meant to be dropped onto a concrete floor so if you see signs of damaged dovetails, pass. The dovetails on a Swiss indicator are usually hardened steel and they can crack. On some, like Interapids, these can also be removed and replaced so an otherwise pristine indicator may not be a bad buy but only if the internals work as they should. I usually pass on dropped tools.
  • A calibration sticker tells you the tool was used in a professional shop. It tells you nothing about the user but it is likely that the tool was well used. That doesn't mean it isn't a good buy but it does suggest it saw some regular use. If it was treated well, it will look like it was. If the crystal is scratched up and there is oil around the bearing at the nose of the tool then it spent its life in an indicator holder and crap was just wiped off during use. Pass on these.
  • Buying on ebay is usually the best bet but don't overlook Amazon. Sometimes you can buy a brand new tool on Amazon for just a tiny bit more than a used one on ebay so make sure you look around. Typically, Amazon will beat Long Island Indicator for new tools of all makes.
  • Buy tools that can be repaired and calibrated. Most import stuff is not worth the repair cost but the good Swiss ones are. You can have a good DTI cleaned, serviced, calibrated and returned to full working condition for half of what a new one would cost.
  • Ebay favors the buyer, not the seller. If an indicator is sold as "used" or in "good" condition then by ebay's definition, the tool must work properly and fully. If it does not then you can return it at the seller's expense. Period. It is also wise to use Paypal because they will work to recover your money in the event of a dispute.
  • Always try to contact the seller to confirm the condition of a tool you are interested in. This leaves a trail for ebay and Paypal to follow a transaction. If the seller says the tool is in good condition and fully functional then it is on him to make sure it is. Otherwise, you can send it back at his expense, risk free to you. I have had contacts with guys who I got along with really well and more often than not, I got a better price than the listed price because I took the time to contact them. Don't overlook the power of an email.
  • Be patient. The tool you want is either on ebay or will be at some point. For example, this year alone I have found 3 Compac 215GA tenths reading indicators with extended travel and large dials. This tool sells for about $300.00 new. Each one I found sold for a third or less of that and all worked well and were in good condition. My best personal find on this tool was about 5 or 6 years ago; a mint condition 215GA that I got for $50.00. If you are patient and know what you want, you will eventually find it and it will often be less than a Chinese equivalent.
Okay, hope this helps.

I am not the OP...with that said: what are the brand names of the Swiss or other acceptable brands. I assume starrett, brown and sharp and inter rapid. But it appears there are other acceptable brands?

Have a look at these folks under "Used/Demo". I bought a refurb'd micrometer from them and was happy.

I also bought a used mic from eBay that was in perfect condition at a bargain price. I would watch for a tool that looks
essentially new, especially if the description matches what you see. It's a risk, but there are lots of good tools on eBay:
just aim for quality and not for a cheap price. Be patient. I also believe that folks that pay for a good quality too in the
first place will tend to take better care of them. I don't know about where you live, but CL has lots of decent looking
tools to look at as well, although I know some folks think they're gold plated for some reason!

Thanks for that link. Added to my bookmarks. I see they have a Mitutoyo caliper in their "demo" section that I have been looking for.

I am not the OP...with that said: what are the brand names of the Swiss or other acceptable brands. I assume starrett, brown and sharp and inter rapid. But it appears there are other acceptable brands?

Etalon and Tesa are the most common Swiss brands. Brown and Sharpe is now part of Tesa, so some B & S tools are Swiss made
as well. All are good choices. Mitutoyo makes good tools as well.

Compac, Tesa, Brown & Sharpe, Etalon and Interapid are the best Swiss brands. All made by Hexagon.

One that’s not mentioned a lot and was my main mic for 30yrs was Scherr Tumico, US made with some of their line German made.

I second @mikey counsel to be patient.
I wanted a specific model Interapid tenths test indicator and it took a while to find one. When I did I lucked into one in the case with all the mounting bits and bobs. It is without question my best piece of metrology gear.

I wanted to show you an example of what a dial test indicator that has lived its life at the end of an indicator holder looks like.

s-l1600.jpg

Click on the photo to enlarge it. Note the dried oil around the edges of the crystal and the oil stains on the body. Note the oil residue and chips left at the base of the needle where the bearings are located. I cannot tell how functional this indicator is but the seller says it is in "good condition", which means it must be fully functional.

Note also that the crystal is dull. You can see this better in other views in this auction. This means the indicator had oil and chips on it and the user just wiped it off, leaving the crystal dull and scratched. Compac crystals are just that; glass under tension. You need a crystal press to change the glass, which will cost you, or find some way to polish it clear. Regardless, this indicator will need a careful and thorough cleaning.

This is the kind of tool that I pass on.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mahr indicators . To me , they're best of class .

Back