Used South Bend 7in Shaper - $475 (Portland OR)

That is a steal. Looks very lightly used. Only missing tool holder and it’s mount. There’s a lot to the South Bend that is superior to the Atlas like internal oil pump and dovetail ways on the ram. If I had the $$ I’d buy that and sell the Atlas even though I own a 7b.

Cute little machine, close to me and I have money in my pocket.

Now my question is "What can I do with a shaper that I cannot do with a CNC vertical mill?"

As I see it, internal keyways would be about it. Anything else 'essential' I am missing?

I'm probably not going to buy it anyway - I am enjoying the extra space gained from selling my never-used surface grinder :)

Stu

Now my question is "What can I do with a shaper that I cannot do with a CNC vertical mill?"
Since when would this ever slow you down?
You may be over thinking this, smiley face. (my smiley face doesn't work)

I'm probably not going to buy it anyway - I am enjoying the extra space gained from selling my never-used surface grinder :)

The old quote is "You can make anything with a shaper, except a profit.".

Basically, it can do just about anything, but it won't do it quickly!

Internal bore features are a pretty neat use, if you find yourself wanting a keyway or spline, or even a square hole, it'll pay itself off quite quickly. Broaches are expensive :)

The ability to use single-point HSS tools is extremely useful. You can make some custom shapes that would otherwise requires a 5-axis CNC or a special cutter, like dovetails.

My favorite thing to do with it is actually just facing off material. I can set it to run, and go do something else on one of my other machines. This is REALLY useful! More importantly, I find it has a MUCH easier time (with just an HSS bit!) removing 'scale' or a tough outer layer than even my Carbide face mill.

Finally, the finish left by a nice shaper tool is miles ahead of anything short of surface grinding. Only a good fly cutter comes close, but with a more satisfying finish :)

Side note: I'm surprised you had a 'never used' surface grinder! I tend to use mine pretty often! The nice finish you can get on one definitely elevates any project!

EDIT: I'll also note that you can cut actually perfect involute gears on a shaper in a way that nothing other than really expensive cutters can do. And no, those sets-of-8 cannot do that except for 8 very specific TPIs, they work by approximating a center point in their range, a shaper can cut a gear tooth using the actual involute process, guaranteeing exact gears! It takes a bit of a setup, but at ~$50-100 for a decent gear cutter, you don't have to do too many of them before it pays itself off (if, like me, shop time is inexpensive compared to equipment costs).

Last edited:
Back