Uses for 1/50 hp Motor

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi Everyone,
I made the mistake of buying off ebay a dc motor speed controller for my lathe without double checking what hp the controller was rated for. It arrived today, and now I see it is rated for only 1/50 hp. Can someone kindly tell me what shop equipment uses only 1/50hp? I now have to decide if I will sell this controller online, or by a 1/50hp motor.

Thanks in advance. This group is awesome for experienced advice :)

Susan

practical uses:
well with 1/50 hp motor, you could make a sharpening device for woodworking tools and use the motor as a powerplant
possibly design and build an automatic pet feeder...
as a drive motor for a pellet stove/BBQ pellet feed system

just plain goofy uses:
a variable speed disco ball turner
a Rube Goldberg egg frying device
playing card shuffler
playing card dealer
shoe buffer

What is the type and specs for the controller ??? I might be interested if you decide to sell.
It could be useful for some sort of small DC motor as a servo type drive for a quill downfeed or similar application.

IIRC, household sewing machines have something like 1/50 HP AC motors. So think of something about as powerful as a sewing machine. Or maybe think of what you can power with a DC motor about the size of your fist.

A "sensitive" drill press (say for ⅛" to #60 bits) comes to mind. I've seen a couple built by hobby machinists, and they're quite nice. Back in the days of through-hole component PC boards, one of these would have been the cat's meow.

Let us know before you buy electrical/mechanical goodies, we can advise on possible compatibility issues
Mark S.

practical uses:
well with 1/50 hp motor, you could make a sharpening device for woodworking tools and use the motor as a powerplant
possibly design and build an automatic pet feeder...
as a drive motor for a pellet stove/BBQ pellet feed system

just plain goofy uses:
a variable speed disco ball turner
a Rube Goldberg egg frying device
playing card shuffler
playing card dealer
shoe buffer

Pencil sharpener...

Back