Using 1/2" tool holder in an AXA tool post.

So the moral here...just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Someone pointed that out here that you can buy XL axa holder to take 5/8" tools. ..why?!
Also like mentioned here, it wasn't completely the rigidness, it was the options on inserts.

Why is because AXA does not only fit one size lathe, and lathes of the "same'" size are not all the same'. There is overlap between sizes, OXA is recommended for lathes up to a 9" swing, AXA 8-12", BXA 10-15.

Also just because a lathe says it is of a certain size it doesn't mean it really is, the Grizzly 10x22 is really a 9-1/2" lathe, PM's nearly identical lathe claims a true 10" swing, a Southbend "Heavy 10" is really an 11" but all are sold as 10" lathes.

I use an AXA on a 12" Enco lathe. I use 1/2" tools without issues about tool centerline. It has more to do with the height of your compound rather than the AXA tool holders themselves. Use 3/8" tooling unless you can't find a particular tool in that size.

I have the same problem with my Logan. I solved it by making a solid plinth that's not as tall to replace
my compound. The plinth improved rigidity noticeably and I can use 1/2" tools any time the compound isn't needed,
which is most of the time.

Back when I had my 10" Logan with a BXA, I ended up having need to use a 5/8" tool (had a LOT of stickout, and the 3/8" and 1/2" tools were causing lots of problems).

I ended up making a tool holder where the tool was clamped from the face rather than the top. This allowed me to get the tool to essentially rest on the top of the compound.

Back