Using a HSS 1/2 end mill to side cut a piece of 9/16th square timber to a L section

TQA222

Registered
Registered
I will have a mini lathe with a collet chuck to hold a 1/2 inch 2 flute end mill. I will also have a vertical slide. I will make a fixture that is 9/16th square on entry and L shaped on exit with space for the cutter to allow me to push the timber through which I will mount on the slide.

This is a one off operation and I will need to process about 25 ft of timber plus some circular pieces. Mabe 30 ft of cutting altogether.

The end mill will be new.

Should this work?

Is there a wood cutting tool that I can hold in the lathe [ 3/8th collet ] that will be much better? I am not too concerned about the finish as the machined side will not be on show.

I realise that whatever cutter I use I will generating a lot of sawdust. I do have a small shop vac and I will rig it up to collect as much sawdust as possible from the cut.

I know if I had a Home Depot on tap I could get a ready made moulding but the local stores in Grenada in the Eastern Caribbean don't stock it. The local Pirates of the Caribbean [ marine store ] can get it in teak but 25 ft will cost 600 $ US. I can get the 9/16th in a fine grain knot free timber which might be ramen. for a small fraction of that.

Can you do it? Will it work? Probably.

Wood working can be dependent upon high RPMS, Think router. Your lathe may top out at 10% of a router.
I suspect you're thinking to take all the cut at one pass, I would. To accomplish this you should climb mill, otherwise the wood will split ahead of the tool. To conventional mill the best you could hope to do is depth of cut 1/8, if that much.
When Climb milling the tool will try to pull the wood into it. Hold On Tight.

Ok I will try it with it set up to climb with the lathe giving it's all at 2,500 rpm and I will definitely be wearing eye protection.

Just a suggestion, snug up the cross feed clamp, so the cutter doesn't take up the slack in the lead scsrew.

Make a box that fully encloses the wood that will attach to cross slide or compound or clamp to bed.

All 4 sides on the inside and only 3 on outfeed.

Tighter the fit the better the finish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Don't worry so much about the eye protection, just stop that saw dust getting in your Shiraz.

Would I be better with a router bit made for cutting wood something like this? 286918

I have used wood routing bits in my X2 minimill, doing precision cuts for small oak parts. Of course the mill's speed is far too slow for proper routing -- yet it worked fine.

Back