Using a radial arm saw for metal cutting?

Jake2465

Registered
Registered
I have what appears to be a decent Craftsman radial arm saw (probably from the 1980s) that has a cast iron base that I have thought about using for cutting aluminum and steel. Does anyone know of those kind of saws can handle that load with a good metal blade? My current go to metal cutting saw is my cheap Skil 12" chop saw with a carbide blade. It just cant cut a very big piece with it's range of motion.

I seriously wouldn't, and I'm the type that takes risks. I have a lot of experience with radial arm saws, they are prone to climb cutting which is a real hazard and even more likely in metal than wood.

I seriously wouldn't, and I'm the type that takes risks. I have a lot of experience with radial arm saws, they are prone to climb cutting which is a real hazard and even more likely in metal than wood.

Now, what if the saw is pushed away for the cut instead of pulled toward the operator? Would that help the climb cut issue?

Now, what if the saw is pushed away for the cut instead of pulled toward the operator? Would that help the climb cut issue?
It would be libel to pick up the edge of the work and throw it back towards the fence, yeah that may be away from you, but still not a good or safe scenario.

Well that's sad :confused:. That thing has been sitting in the corner of my shop for years. I was hoping to put it to use :grin:.

Back