Using a radial arm saw for metal cutting?

Forty years ago my father cut aluminum plate with his old RADIAL ARM SAW. Dewalt collectable now. But he new how to control it from his forty years using it. Yes they will kick out or in , but if you put fences and stops you can do it. Now it was all under 1/4" thick but the length was about three ft. He made steps for his beach camper we used to go fishing. We had several in the family who loved beach buggy fishing back then me included , I had dad's camper on my dodge w200 4x4 when I got screwed up in 1979 . So if your careful you can cut aluminum but steal I'd use an abrasive blade only . Use hold down clamps for any cutting or brackets so it cant lift or grab . Not recommended for sure so if you do be careful and it's your choice.

It sounds like I should side with a metal cutting band saw because very little of what I cut for the mill is only 1/4". Most of the time it is at least 1/2" or more in thickness.

Yeah, for thick stock a bandsaw is the way to go, much safer too.

I did a fair amount of metal cutting (aluminum) on my RAS some years ago when I was building a paramotor, mostly 1/8" plate and 1/16" wall square tubing. It can be done, but I don't recommend it.

• You need the right blade (I used a blade specifically made for non ferrous metals and plastics).
  • You need to lubricate the blade with stick wax.
  • You need to push, not pull, the blade through the work.
  • It'll be REALLY REALLY loud. Wear earplugs!
  • The cut pieces will be extremely hot!
  • Metal shavings get everywhere, not good for the motor and track bearings.
A bandsaw is a much better choice.

This is another one of those things I wish I could say I didn't do, but I did. I worked five years as a glazier and we built a lot of aluminum greenhouses. For some of the specialized joint cutting I had the Craftsman radial rigged up but it really wasn't a comfortable operation. I think part of it was that the arm wasn't really as rigid as one would have wanted, and that effect seemed to compound with the aluminum. I never liked using it.

-frank

I did a copper gutter job once. And used a Dewalt miter saw to cut the ends. The job came out great, but my nerves were shot. I can’t imagine using a radial arm saw to cut metal. It’s dangerous enough cutting wood with it, especially ripping…Dave

Personally, I agree with the majority of respondents. Many years ago, I did a lot of woodwork but had to stop because of allergy issues. I used a radial arm saw quite a bit, and now after becoming familiar with metalworking tools, it's easy for me to visualize an accident waiting to happen. My suggestion: sell the radial arm saw and use the proceeds to buy a decent metal bandsaw. I have one that I bought pretty cheap, and it has become indispensable in my small hobby shop.

Regards,
Terry

I bet it would work just fine, but it would need some modifications. Just look at its metal cutting counterparts. Step back, and think about the differences. First, it is too fast and the blade is too floppy. Modification: use a smaller blade, and those disks to stiffen the blade. Second, the saw can climb or throw the piece it is cutting. Modification: control the movable saw head and the metal. The table will need real T-slots and clamps. The flimsy wood fence will need to be replaced with something a little stronger. The saw itself should not be fed by hand. Screw or lever feed only, and the backlash must be controlled. Third, rigidity of the arm is not sufficient. Modification: a restraining bracket that mounts solidly to the front of the table. This will cut down the size of the pieces that you can cut, but a metal saw which can cut huge pieces should weigh a few hundred pounds or more, and the radial arm saw just isn't quite there.

Leverage your knowledge from machine tools, and you will be able to figure out where you need to make modifications by yourself. There are some commercial examples that you can surf on the Internet for ideas, but for some odd reason, there don't seem to be any hobby machinist versions. I have seen a couple in youtube videos, but the makers said that they didn't work well. As for an unmodified radial arm saw, I wouldn't do it.

Back