Using dies

I'm little late on this thread, but wanted to add my own to sense to it, when i'm treading using a die in my lathe i often use the tailstock with a drill chuck to push against the die to start first 2-3 treads, some time back i build this holder to fit in my MT5 tailstock, i set my speed to 63rpm and push the tailstock by hand till it starts and the treads pulls the tailstock by it self, perfect threads every time and lastly don't expect to be treading hardened steel don't attempt anything harder then 1045 with inexpensive dies.
DSC_0013.JPGDSC_0014.JPG

The only way to get “perfect” threads if perfect is possible? Is to roll the threads. Single point, geometric die heads and whatever dies all have limits to being perfect. And a flood of coolant...Dave

I would try buying one good American made die first to see if that fixes your problem before buying a whole set if it works great if not than you can try and figure out the problem from there

Or you could be like me yesterday and pick up a left hand die and try to make right hand threads with it.....LOL....

Have you thought of cutting the start of the thread by hand. If you get close the die will catch and go the rest.

Back